Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#303788 10/12/08 10:01 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Anyone heard of this? Racism is alive and well, and currently thriving.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...anged-for-being-a-Christian-in-Iran.html

In Iran they enforce their religion by killing you if you disagree, and that's about to be part of national law. Now, in Britain we stopped doing that several hundred years ago, yet if you describe Islam as a primitive religion you commit an offence under UK law. If I were to write what I am now doing in Britain I would be arrested.

Time we all stopped sitting on the fence.

How do you get 'race' out of this article. Race is biological and this article is about political and religious freedom.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Your original question "Has anyone heard of this?"

Unfortunately, yes. It is very prevalent.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Having had Iranian in-laws, hearing some of the stories coming out of that country firsthand was shocking, and amusing in a perverse sort of way.

Due to the current spate of policies encouraging tolerance and diversity being cherished by many, it would seem we are headed in the same direction.

I find it odd that we here in the US (at least, the squeeky wheels) find it necessary to drain all public displays of any type of Christianity from view (Christmas displays, even churchs displaying crosses publicly), want to get rid of "In God we trust", and refuse any type of public facility being used for any religious (?) purposes. On the other hand, we are asked to "tolerate", in the name of "diversity", the religious peculiarities that the religion of peace demands. Prayer times in the schools or at work (in schools here, religious times for Christian religions are forbidden), our local cab drivers who seem to be mostly muslim can refuse fares who have alcohol, guide dogs, or just look funny. The local supermarkets have checkout people who will not handle pork products. All of this in the name of "tolerance". Bah. If these people bailed on their own paradise for some reason, accept ours or go back. My particular understanding of tolerance goes more toward, "hey, we're not going to tolerate your crap."

Being in a Sunday p*ssy mood, I would like to know what happened to our great melting pot of a country, where everyone jumped in and any "baggage" you brought with you from the old country was weighed, and the good parts were incorporated, and the bad was flushed, to the betterment of all.

How about the "honor killings"? I am just astonished that any civilized being could see anything approaching honor in these despicable acts.

I will no doubt be publicly chastised here for my views, but that's life. I will not hunt you down for challenging my honor.
Life ain't fair, get used to it, and your stupid religion does not trump my stupid religion. Whose religion is not stupid is purely a matter of faith, and the fervor with which you practice your faith has absolutely nothing to do with its validity. We will have to wait to find out who is right and who is wrong.

Have a nice day. smile

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Amen Bobber..... Amen.

Take the road less traveled
B
B

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by elbert
How do you get 'race' out of this article. Race is biological and this article is about political and religious freedom.

No Elbert, "race" is not just biological. On a strictly biological basis race is extremely hard to define, possibly impossible. Now that we know more (from mitochondrial DNA) about the migration of peoples we see that "race" is essentially a meaningless term. Human "color" is even more meaningless.

No, it's primarily about culture and lifestyle. We discriminate against anyone we perceive as different, with color being the easiest to recognise but one of the less meaningful, and lifestyle being the main determinant.

Love it -- 9/11 brought us an overreaction in the form of The Patriot act that stole our freedoms.

The same is likely to come of this crisis -- an overreaction that hurts us all. Doubt we'll get Islamic financial law, but we will see pressure to enact laws that move us that direction.

The only place that Islamic financial law has brought any degree of prosperity to its people is where oil revenues from the capitalistic West has fueled it.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Obviously a superior economic policy. A very small minority controls the majority of the wealth (and flys off to the US whenever they need a "vice" fix). The majority of the people seem to have nothing except their religion. Crap, crap, crap.

Actually, just this week I had a conversation with the young lady, college student, mid-east muslim, on just this subject. I did agree that there were parts of her philosophy I did agree with, which were much in keeping with how my father did things. Basically, work till you have the cash for what you want (like starting a business), or get it from relatives, don't borrow.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.