Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
OP Offline
T
Hi All,

I would like to make the following points that may help you to avoid and catch thieves.

1.) People that usually commit crimes case a place first.
Be aware of your surroundings. I.e.; If you see a familiar person or person's around your place of business it could very well be that you are being cased. They do this to make notes on your time of entry, departure and your cash flow or busiest time of day.

2.) Being in a great place like Ambergris Caye where you can leave your door open and your vehicle unsecured is nice, but the reality is, you are giving a thief an open invitation to rob you because you are an easy target.

3). Keep business doors closed, use surveillance cameras and magnetic locks so that you can allow entry to persons you think may not be a threat. Also place a sticker fro the surveillance company that show you have these cameras, anything that deters a criminal will help.

4). Unfortunately times are changing; people are going to be more desperate. Sometimes the thief comes from within and when I saw within it is not the employee directly but indirectly. Ie; A girl you may have employed may have a boyfriend who uses drugs etc, as such he will get information from them, sometimes threatening them if they squeal.

5). I would suggest that when you employee persons simply state that if they do become involved with a person of ill repute, that you are there to help them and back them, by going to the police and keeping them employed on the other hand if they are caught involved with the bad side of life they will be prosecuted and will not be able to work in A.C. again as they will have a record against them and no references..

You must take positive action to suppress and hopefully stop crime.

I hope this helps!

The main problem with crime here, is that people do not get involved.

Many local people on the island like to turn a blind eye to what others are doing.

They fear that the bad elements on the island will "get them back" for helping the police or telling others what they know or have seen.

Crime will continue to rise here until people say enough is enough and stand up against those who would like to steal and commit other crimes.

Also the police need to start acting in a more proffessional manner, they must start talking to people with respect.

They need to respond more quickly to reports of a crime and it would not hurt them to tour the local bars were some of the bad elements are know to hang out.

This is just my point of view, I have many more ideas on how crime could be reduced here, maybe I will leave them for another post.

Would like to hear other peoples ideas on what could be done to reduce the crime here.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
T
OP Offline
T
Applying the items I mentioned above will help; it is not the where-with-for-all, though. The other suggestion that could me made is that rewards are offered for information openly or quietly as this will offset the bad guys.. sometimes this needs to be done with the police as they are also given a piece of the action, I am not saying this is happening in A.C. because I do not live there, but in other parts of the world we definitely have to combat crime with better enticement to the authorities and well as the common folk.
In the meantime the business' need to implement security measures to protect themselves and possibly identify the culprit without relying on people or the authorities.

T
OP Offline
T
Another suggestion is the business' get together and chip in together and have two security guards walking the particular street those business are on from one end of the street to the other, in that way they also become a deterrent to a would be thief.
The only issue with this avenue is the security guard has to have a very clean and have sound background check, so it is not plausible that he might become involved with the bad ones.. Again sound words of advice also go a long way when we hire personnel to encourage them that should they be tempted to stray that the good benefits outweigh the bad downside of conviction and possible jail time.

I can tell you from personal experience when I was in Bogota, Colombia that you would see security guards with an Uzi hanging from their neck and a rottweiler by their side, that's the level they have reached but it made you feel relatively safe in that particular area versus not having them present at all.

A.C. is no where near this scenario, but it is always good to throw some major spokes in their future plans and put out their fire.

S
S
How about machine gun nests at every intersection?

Without property taxes, how would you pay for the ammunition, let alone the guns?

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
K
K
Sounds good Jesse. You're elected for the first nest. lol

JZB Offline
We can charge tourists to climb the machine gun nests to get really nice pictures! laugh

Last edited by JZB; 10/16/08 11:22 AM. Reason: trouble speaking english
T
OP Offline
T
Jesse, you have got to take these things very seriously.
It is unfortunate that everywhere I have been in the world this is exactly what allows crime to escalate.
The attitude that it is not happening to me, or it is not in my area so it is someone else's problem is always the reason crime goes unchecked by the general public.
I have seen crime in the U.S., Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Africa and most Caribbean islands where it has escalated because of that very attitude, "it's not my problem" so to speak.

I voice by opinion here because of two things.

1). Belize is still a great place, but believe me if you sit ideally by on the side and give crime an inch they will take a life and that is definetly not a good thing.

2). The people who have been gracious enough to bring these crimes to light, care!
They should, and that's great, so I think that any of us who care along with them and want a better life, should think of a better way to live as a community, that being Ambergris Caye and Belize in general.

SACNW - South Ambergris Caye Neighbourhood Watch is taking the crime situation very seriously and is working towards ensuring our neighbourhood is a safe, clean and pleasant place to live, visit or work in.

The other neighbourhood watch groups are doing a fine job too.

The SPBA - San Pedro Business Association is concerned and works diligently to fight crime.

We are all working to help support our local police who are always undermanned and overworked! Unfortunately a few bad apples in the force always make it more difficult for the force to garner the full support of the community.

As with any place - there is lots of room for improvement in our protective services.

But don't worry Realdeal - there are quite a few very dedicated folks working to minimize the crime.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 309 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.