Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I think it was big of James to withdraw.
I'm trying to be as kind as I can and still raise an objection. Its all about change and learning. San Pedros roots are fishing, old timers didn't have to consider the things we do today. Their new generation has to reexamine what they have learned from what their parents did when the world was younger..
A lot of what happened here is unwitting, a lot has been learned and change will happen.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I understand what you are saying Elbert. At least the meat was to be eaten, rather than the fin being cut off and the shark left to die. Belize does far more than it's share with designating so much of it's land and water territory as nature and reserves. The country is an excellent example of how to become and eco-tourism destination. I hope the fishing never stops...I love to catch them, but unless they will be eaten, back they go.

Now live from beautiful downtown San Pedro.
As a diver I am curious as to what role Ambergris Divers had in the contest. They obviously allowed the banner to be hung on the railing. I will avoid taking my business to sponsors and after our trip a week ago we have decided to make AC at least one of our trips each year and maybe two.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
A
A
come on elbert nothing wrong with a shark tournament.some times u must be quiet.

P
P
Except that most species of sharks are now extremely endangered, and divers generally hope above all to see sharks. And if you follow the international diving press you will see that some areas known for shark fishing have already effectively been blacklisted for diving. If you want San Pedro to revert to being a fishing village and to drop diving as an offered activity that's fine, so long as you can justify your decision to the many people, Belizean and other, who have dedicated their lives and much money to the dive industry.

"At least the meat was to be eaten,..."

Rebels in the African Congo kill gorillas and eat the meat. Does that justify the killing?

Crocodile meat is edible do you host croc killing tournaments?

Sea turtles were commonly eaten not too long ago.

I would bet that sometime during history people ate manatees. Want to open season on them too? They move real slow and will be easier to hunt.

These shark were killed for sport and the prospect of winning a little boat complete with photo in the paper. The fact that the meat was eaten does not lessen this atrocious act.

It's difficult to understand why the local media of an "eco-tourism" destination would promote this event rather than shine a critical spot light on it in condemation.

On one page they condem development because they want to "protect our environment" on the next page is a color photo of a "prize winning" bloodlied dead shark hanging on a rope with people smiling around it.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 10/18/08 07:36 AM.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Yesterday I met a couple of Holy Cross teachers as they were crossing the bridge. I asked them how they liked the shark meat. They didn't know what I was talking about. I told them and they said, "Oh, maybe next week? There was no school yesterday."
Humm - I read that the shark was being cut up and people were lined up to get the meat. What happened about the statement that the meat would go to the school?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Yes, manatee an turtle were both regularly eaten delicacies here on the island in the not so distant past.

Take a look at the photo in the Ambergris Today - 25 years ago to see other creatures that were killed in the not so distant past.

I don't get moose hunting. But I am not going to boycott the places that do it.

I suppose duck hunting is a great sport - but I don't like eating duck.

Fox hunting is still a popular sport.

Now bullfighting - there is a subject you could sink your teeth into.

And dog and cock fighting.

Don't start acting like Belize is exclusively the only area where such activities occur.

JZB Offline
I will actively boycott any business that has been moose hunting on this island! How dare they! laugh

Wow -Who knew Canadians had a sense of humour!!!!

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.