Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This is SO wrong! Everyone knows that the legal age for a designated driver in Canada is 12!

Drinking mom asks daughter, 9, to drive
Thu Oct 16, 4:36 pm ET

TORONTO (Reuters) - An Ontario woman was charged with a traffic violation after having her nine-year-old daughter drive her home following a night of drinking.

"The woman was concerned that she was unable to drive having consumed some alcohol at a social function," police said on Thursday.

The child was driving the car slowly along country roads in southeastern Ontario on October 12 when police noticed how tiny she was and pulled her over, police said.

She WAS obviously too impaired to drive. So, rather than personally putting her life and her daughter's life as well as the lives of others in danger by driving she PERSONALLY chose to put her life, her daughter's life and the lives of others in danger by requiring her daughter to drive. I hope the child endangerment laws are strong enough to imprint in this woman's mind that this is not to happen again. I am amazed that no one was injured. Happy but amazed.

It's great to be .....

There are idiots on both sides of the aisle. We collect this kind of stuff around my office - have an entire wall full. One of my recent favorites is the cop who arrested the McDonald's employee because his hamburger was too salty. The employee was charged with reckless endangerment for serving the burger "without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2007-09-09-mcdonaldsburger_N.htm

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
not an unusual thing at all where and when i grew up. the dads drank a lot. the kids learned to drive on farmland very young. i have childhood friends who this exact thing happened with their fathers. they were more like 10 or 11 tho. pop says you drive now, whats a kid to do? (provided they know how to drive)

of course we all drove around hanging out of the truck beds back then too.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Nine is too young but I did learn to drive (up and down the driveway) around 12 and the first time I "borrowed" my parents car I was probably 13 or 14. Kids driving back roads in rural Ontario is not that uncommon.

At the age of 5, my lil brother and one of his friends appropriated one of my dad's pickups and motored down the small town streets. One of them on the floor, working the pedals, the other standing up on the seat, steering & shifting gears. My mother ( 82 yesterday) still laughs about the phone call she got from the local Chief asking if she knew her son was cruising.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
S
S
Tourist kids drive golf carts around San Pedro Town

man you are BAD klcman. thats hilarious!!!!

P
P
When I was 12 in England I used to ride a Lambretta scooter regularly around 7 or 8 miles each way. I was never stopped, but a couple of years later I was stopped riding a moped I'd just built from spare parts. Earned me my first and only driving ban, several years before I was even old enough to have a licence!

When I was just 18 (the legal age for driving a car there) I nearly had a bad, probably fatal accident, when I lost control of my father's E-type on my first solo drive after getting my licence. Standard youngster's problem - I didn't have any real perception of speed and I entered a roundabout at 80mph. Seemed slow enough as I had been driving the past few miles at 130mph+, and it felt as if I had almost stopped. Astonishingly I got away with virtually no damage to the car (and nothing my father spotted) but I drove the 5 miles home very sedately, and didn't touch a car for a week.

I've enjoyed reading your adventures.

For some time my dad had held let me on his lap and steer and told me I was driving. I had to take care of my 5 brothers and sisters so my parents could work in the fields. I was the oldest and at 9 I really thought I could drive. If the kids would be good I would take them for a ride each afternoon and they had to promise not to tell. I would let the car roll backward down the hill while I held the door open and leaned out to watch where we were going. That's how daddy did it. Then I would start it and pull back up to the top of the hill. One day the wheels were not lined up straight and each trip down moved a little farther to the left. On about the 5th or 6th coast a big tree caught the door. I pulled back up the hill, parked, got out and with some effort closed the door thinking it would not be noticed. HA! Under duress my 7 year old sister told on me. My punishment was I had to hold the wooden blocks as my dad pounded out the dent.

I didn't drive again until I was 13 and we lived way out in the country. We had a model T Ford that started with a crank. When my folks went to town on Saturday for groceries I would insist I had to study. As soon as they were gone I would crank up the Ford and drive around on the gravel roads. I would carefully put it back in the ruts where we kept it parked. One day I lost control and tipped it over in the ditch

I was a little rebellious.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 379 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.