Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#306160 10/23/08 10:16 AM
OP Offline
Along with the great donation came a very valuable piece of equipment - an x-ray machine. The Belize Mission Project also brought with them an x-ray technician, Frank Neilson, who assisted the San Pedro PolyClinic in having their new piece of machinery installed. Once it has been installed, Dr. Edwards ensures the public that the Ministry will work arduously to get the clinic's walls retrofitted to protect against the emissions released by the x-ray machine. As to personnel, Dr. Edwards continues by stating that the correct process has begun to outfit the clinic with a full time technician.

Who was it on this board that was ripping me about my suggestions / plans for healthcare on the island that said "our island doesn't have the space or facilities to accomodate a X-ray machine"?

Congratulations on this great and much needed donation A.C.!

What's next? Full time anesthesia? On island general surgery and C/S deliveries?

Never say never local people. If there's a need then there's a way.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
C
C
There was one already. I actually used it (or had it used on me I guess). But then it was broken for a long time, so I guess this is great. Thanks for the update.

Canam #306181 10/23/08 11:11 AM
Yes we have always had an xray machine available at the Hyperbaric Chamber.

The issue with the polyclinic is that the room isn't fully insulated to prevent the emissions of radiation.

Working arduously to get the walls retrofitted isn't the same as ensuring that the walls are retrofitted.

There is getting things done - and getting things done right.

We are good at getting things done here - but perfecting, maintaining and enforcing doesn't occur on a regular basis.

Who said we didn't have "room" for an xray machine? We have plenty of room, just not completed, appropriate rooms.

I hope the poly clinic gets the room insulated properly, quickly - after all we hold regular prenatal check-ups there as well as other large gathering of women and children. Thankfully, in general our menfolk are healthy and the women and kids are there for routine check ups and vaccinations.

OP Offline
I can tell you the U.S. requirements as I just went through this process 3 years ago when I built my new clinic.

The exterior of my building is block and brick so the dry wall for the exterior wall could be the standard dry wall.

On interior walls that connected to the adjacent rooms and hallway they required lead lined drywall which was quite expensive.

Also the large handicap accessable door is lead lined and expensive as far as doors go.

No special ceiling was required as I have only storage space in the attic.

With most Belize buildings using block for exterior and interior walls the lead lined drywall is prob not needed.

It's really not a big deal to provide the level of protection needed.

http://www.medicalcenterforyou.com/

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 10/23/08 11:33 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Well that is comforting to hear. Should they issue lead aprons for everybody sitting in the waiting rooms?

We are talking about building nurse and other medical staff housing on the roof.

Do we need a lead lined door?

OP Offline
Lead aprons are only used on the actual person being X-rayed, to cover the gonads or fetus if pregnant.

If the floor of the up stairs is solid concrete then that is likely enough protection for the upstairs.

You do need a lead lined door for the actual X-ray room.

I'm not an expert in this matter but I can get all the info you need from the people who set up my X-ray room and walked me through it's approval from state medical.

If you have specific other questions just call or email me and I'll get the full U.S. requirements for you.

I'm sure Belize could care less about U.S. requirements but this is an issue of patient and worker long term exposure safety. I'm sure everyone would like to know that all needed safety measures are in place.

On a side note, the electrical requirements for a X-ray machine are fairly extensive and the machine will not uncommonly break down and require an expert on the machine to come fix it. If no one on the island has the skills to repair this somewhat complex machine then it will be useless in fairly short order.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 10/23/08 01:22 PM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
There are quite complicated x-ray systems operating in the city - so chances are that there are technicians available in country to help maintain the machine.

Thanks for the offer of help regarding additional info for the safety factors.

If I hear that the polyclinic needs more info I'll drop you a line.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.