Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
OP Offline
D
I'm headed to Belize in two weeks and was hoping to get some advice on the best place to stay. In '07 I spent 4 days in Caye Caulker (at Tina's) and had a nice time but wish there had been more beach/better access to the water. I was thinking about trying Ambergris this time around. I'm pretty low maintenance in terms of amenities (just need clean, safe, relatively quiet) and would love to keep costs down but wanted to find out which of the budget/mid-range hotels have the following:

a) good spots (sand or otherwise) to lay out in the sun
b) easy access to swimable water (walk in vs. pier preferred)
c) safe for a female traveling alone (i'm definitely self-sufficient but would rather avoid any places with a bad history)

I've been doing as much online research as possible but it's hard to get an accurate view of some of these places. Many thanks for the help!
grin

//ambergriscaye.com/rubys/
Rubys Hotel, $40 for private room with bath or upgrade to beach front for $60. I'm staying there for the second time starting 11/15 and a single lady on this board stays there every trip. Kerry where are you? Simple, no phone or tv, but right in the middle of SP on the beach and walking distance to great bars and great food and secure.

Have fun were ever you stay. You get lots of good advice here.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
C
C
You will find the beach areas in San Pedro the same as Caye Caulker unless you go to the pricy resorts....San Pedro is overall for food, snorkel trips etc, about 30 percent higher and up than Caye Caulker. Try Rosie's on the beach about $20 a night..you can walk south to Ramon's dock which is great for swimming. or you can go back to caye caulker and try Marla's $ 20 a night at the split the best place to swim on the island....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
C
C
OOPPS>> I wrote my post and saw yours..is Rosie charging $40 or are you talking Belize $$$ My son was there about 6 months ago and it was $25 U.S.for 2 people...I need an update,

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
I also can recommend Ruby's. If you want to be on the water and close to everything, it's a good bet. I'd also check out the rates at the Conch Shell. It's JUST been renovated, and is very central, but I haven't stayed there. Both places are right in town, have beachfront and would be safe for a woman alone. Have a great time!

Now live from beautiful downtown San Pedro.
i'm right here azbob....
doubledip...highly recommend ruby's...they have single rooms, no frills, for $25 us per nite...just a twin bed, fan and private bath...
the staff is wonderful, rooms are clean...have always felt safe there...i travel solo and no problems...i will be at ruby's nov. 12 - 24...

P
P
The only trouble with Ruby's is that it can be noisy - someone I know stayed there for several days this week and liked the convenience but not being woken at 4am by people playing music and talking loudly in the public area near her room, every day she was there.

If you want a beach you can lounge around on, Ruby's is OK but no beaches here are private and nowhere in town is secluded. One of the nicest beaches near town is at Ramon's, which is about equidistant from Ruby's. That's a proper beach that slopes into the sea, and is very popular with locals. Around town you'll find many areas with seawalls instead of beaches.

Foodwise, Ruby's has an excellent cafe that does good (and cheap) breakfasts and basic lunches.

Ruby's will be spotlessly clean, and will be perfectly safe for a single female.

nothing but the sea? sounds good to me....

I vote for Ruby's also! Stayed there the first time down and traveled alone. Only word of advice is not to stay in the room behind the bakery on the 1st floor. You will get woke up by the banging of pots and pans at 4 am. Ruby's is clean, no frills and priced right for the budget minded. A friend (first timer)is going down with me in November (19-23) and we are going to stay there. We got a room w/ A/C, private bath and balcony w/ twin beds. Can't wait to have my toes in the sand soon! laugh

Take the road less traveled
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks so much for the quick response, everyone! You guys rock!

Most were pretty positive on Ruby's... Conch Shell quoted me $48/night. Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.