Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]KINGSTON, Jamaica: Bandleader Byron Leader, who entertained the Caribbean for more than 50 years, died on Thursday night at the University Hospital of the West Indies in Jamaica.

A few days before his passing the Jamaican government had bestowed on him the Order of Jamaica (OJ).

Byron Lee. Photo: Cayman Net News The Jamaican Gleaner reported that the Governor General Sir Kenneth Hall went to the hospital to make the presentation in the presence of Prime Minister Bruce Golding and Minister of Information, Culture Youth and Sports Olivia Grange, relatives and friends.

The 73-year-old Lee had been fighting transitional cell cancer was being treated in Miami, Florida, for a few weeks. He was also diagnosed with bladder cancer two years ago and returned to Jamaica last weekend because he said he preferred to die in his homeland.

Prime Minister Golding said at the presentation of his OJ award, "Byron Lee and the Dragonaires was an institution that made such an impact on the lives of so many people, and his contribution must be boldly recorded when the history of Jamaican music is being written."

Golding added, "Byron Lee and the Dragonaires had taken their music to Jamaica and the rest of the world."

Noting that the band only two years ago celebrated its 50th anniversary, Golding said Byron Lee and the Dragonaires entertained, inspired and mesmerised three generations of Jamaicans.

Some of the band's hits were Jamaican Ska, Tiney Winey and Give Me Soca.

http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/news-11886--9-9--.html

He made so many catchy songs - still highly popular today. Byron Lee and the Dragonaires (sp) came to Belize a few times - always such a hit.

I have a photo of Byron Lee with my grandson and me taken when he was here in 2001, but can't figure out how to attach it! Love his music.

I understand Byron Lee is still alive -- it was all a journalistic error that started in Guyana and spread into the Caribbean.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
S
S
KINGSTON, Jamaica: Bandleader Byron Leader, who entertained the Caribbean for more than 50 years, died on Thursday night at the University Hospital of the West Indies in Jamaica.
http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/news-11886--9-9--.html

There is also a report of the lead singer Vic Taylor having died Oct 30, 2008 of a cardiac arrest.

Jesse,

That Caribbeannetnews report is in error. It was corrected in later editions.

That's what happens when media organizations depend on other people's news reporting.

--Lan Sluder

>>

BASSETERRE, St. Kitts - SOCA pioneer and leader of the world renowned 'Byron Lee and the Dragonaires', Byron Aloysius St. Elmo Lee is not dead.

Children of the 73-year-old Jamaican icon recently issued a missive which sought to clear the air on the reports that sparked erroneous releases from media houses in Canada, USA and around the Caribbean, including SKNVibes.

The missive reads:

Dear All,

Our Dad is very much alive. Since Tuesday afternoon, we all have been bombarded with e-mails, calls, faxes, etc., re: a rumour which started in Canada that my Dad passed away at 4am. This news is also now being circulated in the USA, Jamaica and the Caribbean. Not true. Please circulate this mail to everyone that he is very much ALIVE and is bravely fighting. He has been bossing all of us around, and as usual, getting his own way (with our pleasure).

Please keep him in your prayers and continue to send him much love and hope! Don't give up on him.
Thanks again for your love and concern, Deanna, Julianne, Edward, John, Byron Jr., Judy & Shelia.

SKNVibes apologises for the erroneous reported posted on its site yesterday, Sunday, November 2.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com

I think that your personal comment was a little uncalled for Lan - and perhaps a little beneath the standards I usually consider worthy of you and your typically great reporting. Most media houses cross reference and work together and pick up international reports and run with them. And it seems that not only Jesse was duped - if in fact the story you have run is true.

S
S
Originally Posted by Lan Sluder/Belize First
Jesse,

That Caribbeannetnews report is in error. It was corrected in later editions.

That's what happens when media organizations depend on other people's news reporting.

SKNVibes apologises for the erroneous reported posted on its site yesterday, Sunday, November 2.

So sorry Lan. I forgot that all your reporting is original.. no outside sources. Commendable!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.