Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
2gb Flash Drives (Kingston) at Gecko Graphics are $65bz.

S
S
Originally Posted by Peter Jones

Three years ago I imported scuba goods costing about US%50k in the US. Most of these goods were sent free to my shipping agent in Miami. Nonetheless Belize Customs asserted that there must have been US-internal freight charges, and as I hadn't declared them they would impute them - at something like 15% of gross cost. They obviously had all original supplier invoices so their assertion was provably untrue (one actually said "freight charges to your shipping agent are included in the price"), but it made no difference. I was ultimately charged various duties & taxes to a total of 100% of the original gross cost, and when I objected I was told I had the option of forfeiting the goods. At one move these goods cost me more than the normal retail price in the US, making them very difficult and unprofitable to sell.

You definitely had the wrong broker!

In July I made a quick trip to Oklahoma and took an empty suitcase. I filled it and saved the receipt and honestly declared what I was bringing in. I had things that I could not buy here - like clothes of quality that fit me.
Bottom line was I paid 40% of purchase price to the customs people. So much for honesty.

I just spent a week in Costa Rica and ate beef - very very good beef - every day as what is sold here is very very tough. They also had an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables very cheap.

While here I eat mostly every day Belizean food. I have a pasta maker and ice cream machine and make my own. There is nothing like these in any store (well, except Manalley's). I buy Lobster tail and fish filet from a local fisherman and have learned how to cook these as good as any restaurant.

When visitors come we eat out and I splurge. When I leave the island I indulge in the foods that are expensive here. (Like chocolate and prime rib)

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
P
Originally Posted by jesse
You definitely had the wrong broker!

So it seems! But This was the fourth or fifth time I had impoerted goods and I had problems every time, with a variety of brokers. So I asked around and sought recommendations before this occasion, and see where ut got me.

Silk soy milk is 4 times the price I pay back home. I have ask several grocery stores to get me a case, but no one but Island supermarket seems to know how to get it. I wish I could drink cow milk. I just pay... figure that is my vice, that and good chocolate which I smuggle in.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
indygal #311319 11/17/08 08:34 PM
M
M
You have to smuggle chocolate in? What happens if you get caught? Just pay duty? I'm taking my mom down some food items and taking some school supplies to CC. Should I declare this stuff or just play dumb? Do they look in ALL suitcases or is it random? I haven't been down in quite a few years.

It's random. But not declaring and then getting caught is always ugly...

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
I bring in a couple of boxes of Ester Price chocalates every year, among other items, never have had to open my bags.

J DOG #311351 11/18/08 08:11 AM
they do recognize familiar faces after a while - smile

NYgal #311353 11/18/08 08:34 AM
L
L
From what I gather they are more incline to open property of residents rather than visitors. But they opened everything I carried back two years ago, the last time I was out of the country. Things NOT to bring in.....make up, beauty products, bath stuff etc. I paid 100% duty on those items.
If anyone is coming soon, I woud love to get some white chocolate for baking. For bringing me a bar or two, your efforts would be rewarded with a slice of mango/white chocolate double layer cake with butter frosting topped with mandarine orange slices....

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.