Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
How to Cook a Tapir: A Memoir of Belize (Hardcover)
by Joan Fry

Reviews
"Here is the very unsentimental education of an American bride, who is extraordinarily quick and bright, but ordinarily squeamish about dirt, bugs, bare breasts, and chicken feet in her tamale. Her transformation into a woman who can cook on a stove made of river stones, pave a dirt floor with a paste of ash, slice a tarantula with a machete, and bond with her Maya neighbors even as she cools toward her anthropologist husband is stunningly honest, moving, and convincing. This is a memoir that `broadens' in the way that travel is supposed to, and the recipes woven through the narrative are simple, exotic, and enticing. Now if only I could find a tapir . . ."-Janet Burroway, author of Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft and Bridge of Sand

"Reading and relishing Joan Fry's wonderfully vivid memoir of her time among the Maya, I can almost smell the ripe mangos on the ground and the smoke of the Colonials in the air. I can taste the escabeche and tortillas. How to Cook a Tapir brings Belize to life."-Lan Sluder, author of Fodor's Belize 2008 and publisher of the on-line magazine Belize First

Joan is a wonderful friend of mine. This book is a tremendous account of the time she spent living in a Maya village in the 60's. If you really love Belize you will be thrilled with this book. It will be released in April next year and the pre publication prices on Amazon are pretty good. Highly recommended - Find out more about How to Cook a Tapir

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

I did have the opportunity to read Joan Fry's book in manuscript. It's wonderful. It's essentially a memoir of her time as a young woman in Toledo, but with a twist -- at the end of each chapter is a recipe for a Maya or Belizean dish, usually one relating to something in the chapter.

--Lan Sluder

super cool. i'm on it!!! my copy is BOUGHT

got this recently am about to start reading it
Confederate Settlements in Belize, During the American Civil War and the years immediately following, thousands of Confederate sympathizers and former soldiers left the southern United States to seek exile in other lands. Evidence suggests that more Confederate soldiers went to British Honduras, presently known as Belize, than any other single site. This work is an in-depth look at the settlements established by former Confederates - what lured the Confederates there, what the trip from New Orleans was like, what life was like for immigrants in Belize City, the settlements at Toledo, New Richmond, northern British Honduras, Manattee, and other settlements, and what Belize City was like at the height of the immigrant influx. Also included are lists of arrivals at the hotels and passenger lists from the ships that were important in identifying prominent Confederates who sought refuge in British Honduras.

M
M
Thanks, just bought 2 copies.

Time and the River by Zee Edgell is another good book...it's written as a novel, but gives you a great insight to the late 1700s in Belize. Lots of info about the British and Spanish wars for the takeover....many names we recognize today. Also a good look at the boom of the mahogany industry.

Last edited by shuffles; 11/21/08 08:58 AM. Reason: learning to spell

Change your Latitude
S
S
How to Cook a Tapir...same as Manatee but more salt

thanks shuffles!!!!

S
S

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.