Belize Wins Caribbean Regional Nutrition Quiz Competition
Belmopan - 25 November, 2008
Four students representing Belize captured first place in the Finals of the Caribbean Food and Nutrition Institute’s Regional Nutrition Quiz Competition. Belize competed against Antigua and Barbuda in a final face-to-face contest yesterday, November 24, 2008 in St. Kitts.
The students who represented Belize were:
1. Santiago Hernandez – Orange Walk Technical
2. Edgardo Serrut – Sacred Heart College
3. Gaby Miranda – San Pedro High School
4. Pedro Garcia – San Pedro High School
The Belize team received a trophy, cash awards and books. They were accompanied by their coach, nutritionist, Mrs Sandra Collins and also by health educator, Ms Erika Goldson.
The participants from the Belize Team were selected from the high schools that placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the 2008 National Nutrition Quiz Competition which was sponsored by the ADM Belize Mills Ltd.
This team then went on to compete against 13 other Caribbean countries in the final preliminary rounds which were held on the 22 and 23 October this year, via UWI teleconferencing facilities. Belize and Antigua and Barbuda finished with the highest scores in those rounds and thus went on to the face-to-face contest.
Every year CFNI hosts the regional nutrition quiz competition among Caribbean Countries with the goal of achieving the following:
• Improving the image of food and nutrition in the Region
• Promoting nutrition and healthy lifestyles among students and the community
• Assisting students in their preparation for local and regional examinations in food and nutrition
Each year the Ministries of Health and Education in collaboration with Pan American Health Organization organize and conduct the ADM Belize Mills Nutrition Quiz competition among secondary schools countrywide.
The students will be returning to Belize on Friday November 28.