Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#31343 11/14/00 06:58 PM
L
lizzurd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We're arriving next week. Exactly how much bug spray do I need? Is 100% DEET really necessary? We were told the ocean breeze really eliminates most of the mosquitoes. Thanks for your comments.

#31344 11/14/00 10:23 PM
S
S
Welcome! 1.375gms. No. True. You're welcome!

#31345 11/14/00 11:01 PM
F
F
the skitter's north of the river cut are much worse than most areas. lots of extra water since "Keith". just be careful up north of san pedro, they're any army to be reckoned with. but what you have should do the job.

#31346 11/15/00 10:49 AM
Doctors and others I've talked with say 100% DEET is overkill and may be harmful, especially to the young. I'd say 30% DEET is enough -- that's pretty effective.

Mosquitos can't fly in the wind, so anytime you are in a breeze (which is most of the time when you are on or near the water) mozzies won't be a problem. However, away from the water on both North Ambergris above the river channel and the far south part of the island, mosquitos are often really bad. I've driven golf carts in these areas where when you even slow down the mosquitos will swarm all over you.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#31347 11/15/00 07:02 PM
K
K
We've looked like the Off commercials at times. I don't care how fast you go on those carts, those bugs go just as fast. It's not just the mosquitoes you need to worry about, its the noseeums. Bring baby oil to rub on yourself (or someone else) to keep them off. Rum, deet and baby oil, and your ready to go.

#31348 11/15/00 09:08 PM
K
K
These things are real! They are so small they come thru the window screens. You wake up scratching. I don't know what the baby oil does, but the locals told us to use it. I've used it the last three times we were there and haven't had any bites. We also use a little machine called Vape. (sold in Belize City) You plug it in and put a little tablet in it. Each tablet lasts about 12 hours. The tablets can be purchased on the island (sometimes) Or enough of those little "Blue drinks" and you don't need any of these.

#31349 11/16/00 07:01 PM
C
C
I am the mosquito bite queen of the world!!!
100% deet plus long cotton pants and shirt and they have still managed to make contact!!!!
Plus....I hate to say this, but during a
Christmas trip I got dengue fever and that
was absolutely a wonderful...long lasting
disease...eeekkk! They (the bites) seem to
itch a long time as well, i.e. take benadryl.
I've also tried everything from Rainforest
Remedies to alcohol for the itching but to
no avail....I STILL LOVE BELIZE!

#31350 11/16/00 07:48 PM
S
S
Hey Hope, What exactly is this Ultrathon and where on the net did you purchase it? And by the way does anyone know how those mosquitos are in February?

#31351 11/16/00 10:02 PM
No-see-ums are variously known as sand fleas or sandflies or, in Spanish, paraja (I think, my Spanish isn't very good.)

Whatever you call them, these small gnats are common in beach areas in many parts of North America besides Belize -- all over Caribbean Central America, in Caribbean Mexico and in coastal areas of the Southeastern U.S. among other places.

The worst I've ever seen them is in Hopkins and also in South Carolina.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#31352 11/17/00 06:44 AM
G
G
I disagree with Shari.....*I* am the mosquito magnet of the world! (Although, I must defer to her as she contracted DENGUE FEVER and I hopefully never will! It's ugly, folks! Ask her!)

But back to the repellent discussion: I remember my first visit to San Blas (Nayrit, Mexico---a sweet, sweet, cheap beach town) when I refused to put "chemicals" on my skin. The next day I was looking for DDT.....and didn't give a rat's ass about the side effects. To this day, I consistantly cover any exposed skin with the strongest (and safest) chemicals available.

The best and most preferable repellent is a strong breeze....or sitting under a fan set on "lift the roof."

Yet, if I were sitting on a gorgeous Carribean-facing-veranda eating fresh conch ceviche, I cannot even imagine worrying about mosquitoes......

as ever, (and yet)
ginny rose

P.S. No-see-ums are tiny black biting knats. I am unfamiliar with them in Belize---having been occupied by the big biters---but my other Central American experience with them is that their bite feels like a fiberglass sting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.