Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#313031 11/30/08 11:46 PM
OP Offline
There have been a few recent posts asking how to travel with a dog to Belize. Rules have changed since I last updated a thread with details. It is VERY important you meet all requirements or they will deny you from boarding your flight.

In October the airline recalled my checked bags and refused me from the flight. Was stuck trying to get back to BZ for two days!

Purchase your ticket and make sure the airlines know you are traveling with your pet.

Many airlines do not allow dogs to be checked with luggage. The two airlines to Belize that accept pets to be checked are American and Continental.

-Must have a clear bag of dog food tapped to the top of the kennel with instructions should there be an emergency or delay.
-Must have a water bottle (the gerbil type) that fits on the outside of the kennel door whether your dog knows how to use them or not.
-Must have airport approved kennel large enough for pet to stand up and turn around. I suggest bringing extra nuts/bolts that fit the kennel as they often pop off the kennels. The airline will also cable tie the dog in the kennel. Please make sure your dog has comfort and you provide some type of pillow or comfy blanket.
-Must label kennel 'LIVE ANIMAL' on each side of kennel with name of dog
-If temperatures are predicted less than 45 degrees at any place of travel you MUST have a vets letter stating dog can travel in temperatures as low as 20 degrees F. No exceptions on airlines without this letter!

After purchasing your airfare

Submit your import permit application via fax or email to BAGA Belize. This import permit is required by Belize and usually issued upon arrival when you pay. It is not a requirement to leave the US, however
REQUEST A COPY BE FAXED OR EMAILED TO YOU BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE US. LAST TIME I WAS ASKED FOR A COPY BY THE AIRLINES AND DENIED BOARDING TO MY FLIGHT! I was stuck at 4am and couldn't get to Belize for another day!
Baha will do this for an additional $35 and will charge when you arrive.
Tel: 501-822-0818 or 501-822-1378
alternate number for pet import 822-3084
Fax: 501-822-0271
Email: if emailing for permit, send to both
[email protected] and [email protected] Ms.Nadine Hegar

Required information

Your name
Dogs name
Breed
Weight
Color
Address in US (or where you are coming from)
Intended address upon arrival in Belize
Estimated date arriving
Port of entry(Phillip Goldson Int. Airport).
Days and Hours

Every day of the week 8-5pm (in past was only M-F)

Required information upon entry
All records of current vaccinations and valid rabies shot. They now also ask for proof or a statement that the pet is free of ehrlichiosis (disease from ticks)

Fees

Now $75BZ ($50 BZ to enter and $25 BZ inspection and which is them looking at your dog for 30 seconds.)

BAHA Belize is very helpful when applying and upon arrival. The process is easy.
-----------------------------------------------------
GETTING TO THE ISLAND
I highly recommend the water taxi. Though it takes longer it is well worth it for the dog. It is much easier on the dog (and the person with the dog) in my opinion. My dog personally hated getting out of her kennel after traveling so long from the states to then be put back into her kennel for the flight to the island.

Water Taxi
Allow one and a half hours after arrival to determine which water taxi you will take
20-30 minutes for customs and bags
15-20 minutes at BAHA to import your pet and pay your fees
10 minutes to load up your cab with luggage and pet
20 minute for cab ride to water taxi and to purchase your water taxi ticket upon arriving at terminal
$10 US one way
Caye Caulker Water Taxi departures (Belize City-San Pedro)
10:30am, 12pm, 1:30pm, 3:00pm, 4:30pm
There is also a new San Pedro Water Taxi which is 1 hour direct however they charge $20 for the dog and CC Water Taxi the dog is free like luggage.

Flying
Tropic charges three seats for the dog=$165 US each way. Plus your ticket= $55 US which is over $200 US. If you have a very large kennel at times they do ask for you to purchase four seats for the dog!!!!

Maya Island Air charges only one seat for the dog= $55 US each way. Plus your ticket= $55 US totaling only $110 US.
YOU MUST NOTIFY MAYA ISLAND AIR IN ADVANCE SO THEY HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PLANE TO TAKE THE DOG

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
There is also a new "dog passport" for those who travel multiple times a year with animals. This will allow you to travel to/from Belize and the US without reapplying and paying for the import permit each time. Info to be added when I find out how to obtain the passport.

Great information!

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
OP Offline
Thanks Lan! Seems they update and change the info from time to time and Karmin the labrador is a world traveler.

L
L
I see more and more people traveling with pets these days, so good info to know. I was really thinking about bringing home a potlicker this time, but decided against it.

Monday afternoon, in DTW ( when I SHOULD have already been home here in ME for 15 hours), I saw a pilot getting on board with his golden retriever, straight to the flight deck!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Originally Posted by klcman
Monday afternoon, in DTW ( when I SHOULD have already been home here in ME for 15 hours), I saw a pilot getting on board with his golden retriever, straight to the flight deck!

Was it his seeing eye dog???? laugh laugh laugh

Take the road less traveled
L
L
LOL

klc, long trip home?

LM, if so inclined I could write the TR from Hell, along with a screenplay for a remake of Planes, Trains & Automobiles

mad

(funny now, but wasn't then)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
L
L
I hear ya, but at least it happened on the way home!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.