Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
Hell yeah. Fingerless gloves...off the shoulder sweat shirts, striped jeans. 80s are the greatest.

D
D
They better be playing my band, Berlin, doing such songs as "The Metro" and "Sex...", or it isn't the '80's! Or how about "Masquerade"?

hey dan, we saw your photo on the Retro Channel on cable this week when they played 'the metro'. you look juuuuust a little different now!! laugh

oooooh, yes - shoulder pads! but man, i loved my ankle boots and Clubman sunglasses.

P
P
Originally Posted by drummer dan
Berlin, "Sex...",

Bloody ****... what a song. I'd fly to SP just to hear that one.

B
OP Offline
B
Tonight is 90s night..ummmm...

Killing Me Softly by the Fugees? Mr. Jones by Counting Crows? Madonna's Vogue? Probably some Ace Of Base.

I guess we'll see.

S
S
Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Ministry, STP, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Faith No More, Metallica, Megadeath, Peppers, Tool..... and you have a deal. None of that easy listening poop. Why can't we have a decent headbangers night on the island!

amen bro to that. head banging is essential to the survival of the brain. Ebbe is a hell of a head banger. he fricken ROCKS.

My head is always banging the morning after a night at Tacklebox, but I guess that's not what you rockers mean.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Originally Posted by SimonB
Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Ministry, STP, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Faith No More, Metallica, Megadeath, Peppers, Tool..... and you have a deal. None of that easy listening poop. Why can't we have a decent headbangers night on the island!

SimonB,
as I recall, those are groups from the '90s, although a few were nightclub acts in the late 80s. Metalica is an exception, they were recording in the mid-80s, I think. Maybe you could sponsor a 90s night someplace like Pedro's? I think that J�germeister is the proper vintage to be served with your M�tley Cr�e.

I'm with you regarding the easy listening side of the 1980s. I was ready to jump off a bridge if I heard Michael Jackson one more time. And the boy bands? I couldn't turn on the radio, terrified that I'd hear something like Tears for Fears. Yikes! Awful!

I ended up learning a lot about 1960s & 70s music during the 80s, since so few of the popular acts were compatable with my "tastes". I've always liked rock, and I explored the origins of hard rock during those days. Also, the blues backround that I was first exposed to while listening to artists such as Eric Clapton, Johnny Winters and the early Led Zepplin albums lead me to spend some quality time with, for example, B.B. King and Junior Wells. When new blues acts like Stevie Ray Vaughn hit the airwaves, I decided that there was hope for the human race, after all. I also looked into the Folk Movement, Bluegrass and Country Rock. I had always been a fan of James Taylor and the Allman Brothers Band, so expanding on those early influences kept me sane, more or less, during the musical wastland that was the 80s.

The 80s had a surprising club scene, once you got past the multitude of generic acts paying Journey and Boston covers. Those were the days of wine and spandex, as the disco days faded into the hair band era. The LA club scene was healthy, Austin was getting national attention and New York had its punk-new wave clubs like CBGB.

For better or worse, the 80s will always be remembered for the more commercial acts that were heavily promoted in that decade, but let's not forget the important countercurrents. Metal, for example, had its roots in the earlier hard rock acts like Black Sabbath. Some of the hair bands have roots in the Glam Movement, for example, bands like T Rex.

My point is, let's do a hard corps rock night somewhere and get loud and proud. I'm all in.

Dan

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
S
S
Oh to see any of those bands in a small club! I did manage to see Jerry Cantrell in a small club (Alice In Chains pre Layne's death) just before I came down here (in the pit front row.)

I have a very eclectic taste in music and I was a total "waver" in the 80's so I do love the 80's music but please can't some bar come up with a head banger night. There are more than a few people here who belong to the Black T-shirt Society.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.