Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
E
S-mom, I didnt find that at all, the second night we were there we were invited to an expats home for dinner. I found them very open and warm. If you dont mingle you wont mix.

That's for sure Ernie - and you have to throw yourself out on a limb once in a while. Walk up to folks and introduce yourself, maybe have some kind question to ask. You know, "hi, I'm new to town and I was wondering if you could tell me - where the library is, where the new book store is located, where the best local deals on scuba diving are, where you can join a poker game, where the Kingdom Hall is located - you know, something broad." Some folks will answer and engage you in further conversation, others will answer and then be cool. Take your cues from their behavior. Sometimes people are preoccupied or busy so they are a little curt. I wouldn't let that dissuade you. You just have to find your niche.

A great way to break the ice is to chat with the merchants too. Church of course is a great place to meet people. And we all know that we have a watering holes about every 50 ft where people are socializing.

T
T
Snoopys Mom,exclusive. Sorry you got that feeling let Tina and myself know when your in town,we would be happy to introduce you to our fellow islanders.Better yet,pick a blog from Marty's blog list and ask them to meet up with you,might be pleaseantly surprised. You are welcome to play shoes on Sunday at Canucks. They are also having a poker tournament.Don't be shy! sincerely yours

E
E
"A watering hole every 50 feet" is right. When I got there, I discovered I couldnt stop at every one between BCs and Royal Palm. Couldnt find my golf cart, had to take a taxi home. Caught hell. But, I must have made a lot of friends, people waved at me and called my name that I didnt know, for days.

S
S
I stand by my remark - even on the board, the messages are clear from the long timers: "If you don't like it here, go somewhere else".

As an outgoing, social person who has relocated numerous times (urban and rural), this move has presented a challenge. That said, after a year on the island, everything is great now! Most of my friends are also newbies (that "birds of a feather" thing!).

IT'S ALL GOOD!

T
T
P.S. Tim; "Don't Stop the Carnival" is based on the island "Antigua" in the West Indies.

Good book and very acurate of Antigua, Belize might be a distant similarity but only a few things.

Tim Callanan
Start now by reading "Don't stop the carnival" !

Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
Most of my friends are also newbies (that "birds of a feather" thing!).

I wonder if that's part of the reason you've encountered what you describe. I have lots of expat friends on the island, but I don't consider them representative of the island. It is the true "locals" that make San Pedro unique and as a friend on the island pointed out to me, it takes a long time to build relationships with them because they watch expats come and go all the time. If the only relationships you develop are with expats you might as well be hanging out with a group of Americans on a beach anywhere in the world and I could do that 250 miles from my house as opposed to 2500!

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
B
B
'Downsides of being an expat on Ambergris?'
You can be parked in your golf cart on your own side of the road and get hit head on by a nut on a motorcycle and it is your fault. I get to go to court on Monday. Charges--Driving without do care and attention. Sitting in a parked cart--this is gonna be bizzarre

P
P
Well known defence in England - "I was sitting in my parked car with the engine off when this lamppost came up and hit me".

D
D
Liver damage and memory loss. Biggest pitfalls on the Island.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.