Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#315416 12/20/08 04:40 PM
Hammer Offline OP
OP Offline
Want to lease or buy time on power or sailboat. I have a commercial captains license. Call 625-7774 or pm me. Thanks!

Is a commercial captains liicense legal in Belize with the new changes?

Hmmm, I am pretty sure it is - how else can visiting boats traverse our waters. And how do the TMM bareboat charters rent to visitors. Maybe Simon can answer this for us.

S
S
Firstly I'm assuming that Hammer is refering to a Belize commercial captains license based on the phone number. There are a variety of licenses available based on the size of boat and on top of that there are 1)Private, 2)Commercial Passenger and 3)Commercial Cargo.

TMM and Moorings require you to submit a resume of your sailing experience and any licenses you may hold in order to Bareboat a charter. If either one feels that your experience and qualifications aren't enough then you must have a captain on board. Port Authority accepts that if you've passed screening with the charter company you can sail inside the reef. A captain is always required outside of the reef.

I'm not sure of the requirements for transient boaters. If I get stopped by Port Authority or the Coast Guard again this week I'll ask them.

Hammer Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone;

I hold multiple licenses one of which is a Belize commercial.

R
R
SimonB,

I hold a 50 Ton US Coast Guard Master's License (now expired) and I think it would be unbelievable if Belize did not accept a valid Master's License on a Foreign vessel. I have traveled extensively in many countries and have never had a problem. Of course there where responsibilities which varied a little from country to country along with the required paper work to clear in. I believe there are treaties and agreements with other countries which would exempt foreign masters from local licensing. Of course they may require a qualified pilot to a comply the vessel but this is usually for transit in a limited particular areas.

Now if it is a Belize registered vessel then that is a different story. Belize can regulate that as they see fit, of course.

I will watch with interest for any additional information.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
S
S
"Of course they may require a qualified pilot to a comply the vessel but this is usually for transit in a limited particular areas. "
Like inside the reef?

R
R
Jesse, I wouldn't totally rule it out, but not usually a large geographical area. The Bahamas have plenty of shallow water and reefs, same with the San Blas Islands off Panama and they don't require pilots that I know of.

The skill required through your cuts is greater than inside the reef (in general). A lot of places in the world might require a pilot through a cut. Again I'm interested in what information may be out there.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Hammer Offline OP
OP Offline
Found a boat! Thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 307 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.