Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Phase 1 of South Beach Belize, which could take approximately up to two years to reach completion, has been approved by the National Environmental Appraisal Committee (NEAC) on their meeting held December 18th, 2008. In a telephone interview with Martin Alegria, Chairman of NEAC, confirmation was gotten that indeed the much downsized project will go through pending approval from other agencies and whether the developer follows the guidelines set forth through the Environmental Compliance Plan (ECP).
After much consultation, research, visits to the site, NEAC has based their decision upon conditions set for South Beach which will have the minimum impact upon the environment. According to Alegria much of the project has been downsized greatly from 1,000+ proposed plot developments to 590. The usual 66 feet beach reserve, which is set for any development, will be kept around the entire South Beach. As it pertains to the Marco Gonzalez Ruin, an additional six acres will be added, which brings the ruin boundaries to over 13 acres. Development of this area will be worked between the developer and the Department of Archaeology.

The access channel, much in discussion, will also be required to possess the 66 foot reserve, and according to Alegria, this will be increased by an additional estimated 100 feet (the details to this have yet to be finalized). These are some of the conditions set for Phase 1 of the development. South Beach will now have to face the Ambergris Caye Local Building Authority in order to get approval for their proposed structures.

Questions that remain include the Hol Chan boundaries and any construction that might affect the reserve. This, Alegria states, will be tackled on Phase 2 which gives the Department of Fisheries enough time to gather pertinent, relevant information to present to NEAC. This could happen in the next two years, since Phase 1 does not interfere with Hol Chan, stated Alegria.

The responsibility of monitoring of the development and ensuring that South Beach follows the stipulated guidelines set by NEAC will fall squarely upon the shoulder of Developer Jeff Pierce. However, Alegria did state that a monitoring fee will be implemented upon South Beach. This fee will allow the Department of Environment and other monitoring agencies monies to visit the site and ensure that the guidelines are being followed. Additionally, South Beach will incur a Surety Bond (the numbers are being crunched as of deadline) and this will allow the Department of Environment monies to remedy any damages the development may have on the environment.

Speaking with Pierce he ensured that he will be in full compliance with the guidelines set.

"South Beach is Belizean owned and I, as the developer, as well as my family and employees are Belizean. We love the country and plan on following the guidelines fully in order to ensure the prosperity of Ambergris Caye and Belize in general. We understand the importance of the environment and the sensitivity of the location of the development and as such will work with government agencies and local entities to make sure that everything we do is in order."

Chairman of NEAC Alegria stated, "At NEAC we are technical. We do delve in the social and economic aspects of it but, at the end of the day, we are technical. Politics are pushed aside and we delve in the balance between the development and environment."

The first phase of South Beach is expected to take two years.

http://sanpedrosun.net/08-501.html

The web site just has the original site map.

Any idea where a copy of the "new phase 1" site map can be viewed?

Before Jesse gets a chance to say "ask Jeff for one", I'm emailing him also.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
E
E
smile

B
B
Who exactly is going to be buying all of these condos? Last I checked the real estate market is not so hot...and getting even less so...

A concern for Jeff not us here.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
P
P
I'm sure the project will be carried through with the committment to the spirit of environmental protection we've already seen at Reef Village.

M
M
What are the standards by which NEAC judges a proposed development?

As difficult as it is for me to discern how even a scaled down project in the South Beach location could pass "technical" muster, it is virtually impossible for me to fathom NEAC's principles.

How can NEAC claim to have struck "the balance between the development and environment" when the effect on Hol Chan will not even be evaluated until Phase II?

M
M
I also wonder how NEAC factored in the opposition of the Minister of Tourism, the Mayor, BTIA and many others. I wonder how NEAC considers the integrity and past compliance of the developer.

NEAC strikes me as a rudderless ship. I would like to be convinced otherwise because I am thinking of investing on Ambergris Caye myself.

Strong words for someone who is only "thinking of investing on Ambergris Caye".

New plot map request update: no response so far :-(

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 12/31/08 08:48 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
"The responsibility of monitoring of the development and ensuring that South Beach follows the stipulated guidelines set by NEAC will fall squarely upon the shoulder of Developer Jeff Pierce."

REALLY? What does this sound like?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.