Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
hello, my name is andrea. My boyfriend and i have been considering moving to the island and have been doing research on where we would like to live, the real estate and all of that however we have not been able to find ANY information on how hard it is to acquire a job once you get there. Any ideas?

you need to use the search function on this board . .it is a frequent topic. The process is detailed and many jobs are rightfully closed to non-Belizeans.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.

Last edited by Caye Connect; 12/30/08 11:41 PM.
This is another topic, like the snorkeling in SP question, that never gets a straight answer when it's needed.

The answer is yes.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
A
OP Offline
A
sorry, i also forgot to add that we are both in our early 20's and are not looking to make a professional career there right away. We planed on staying for a year and then possibly applying for citizenship based on how that year goes. But for now we are just looking for simple jobs to help support us so that all of our savings don't disappear. we were thinking along the lines of working at a perhaps a hotel or restaurant to begin with... im not sure if that makes any difference to the level of difficulty it is to find a job versus a long term career?

thank you to everyone who has answered this post!

C
C
5 yrs to qualify for an application to citizenship

Originally Posted by KC Jayhawk
.....many jobs are rightfully closed to non-Belizeans.

It's right to have a closed work force market?

You live in the US don't you?

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
A
OP Offline
A
yes i do live in the US

whoops, sorry for the mix up i meant we would apply for permanent residency after that first year if all goes well, not citizenship.

Last edited by andrea88; 12/31/08 01:32 PM.
He was replying to KC, I believe.

Doc, I would agree with you on principle, but having spent a number of years hanging in the Bahamas, the Abacos specifically, and observing the same closed jobs/property ownership situation (Bahamas became independent of the mothership about the same time as Belize), I think it was a brilliant decision of both countries to protect themselves in this way. They would have become Americanized in short order, as I'm sure you are aware. Been to The Atlantis? We love it but it's not The Bahamas.

And that really has nothing to do with our own foolishness with open borders and an overly generous government. It benefits these countries for now, as they get going under independence, and has sure kept them appealing, right?

In other words, not only do I think it was wise for the "founders" to set up these barriers for the overt reasons mentioned, but there has been, to my way of thinking, an unanticipated benefit of slowing growth and keeping the old world charm.

But jmo.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Originally Posted by skippy

In other words, not only do I think it was wise for the "founders" to set up these barriers for the overt reasons mentioned, but there has been, to my way of thinking, an unanticipated benefit of slowing growth and keeping the old world charm.

But jmo.

Old world charm and third world conditions are two seperate issues.

On one hand excluding forieners from the work force may benefit a few Belizeans but denying some like oh, let's say......doctors the right to move there and work for pay can't be in the true best interest of the Belizean people.

Obviously my opinion on this particular issue is biased.

We have visited many of the islands in the Bahamas including Atlantis. The kids loved Atantis and we liked it also. I think that is a really good example of how "Americanization" hasn't ruined the Bahamas. Most of the Bahama islands are very tranquil and uncomercialized. Only a few are "Disney Landish" but at the same time the "Disney" like attractions bring lots of jobs and money into an area.

I'm not advocating a Disney like attraction in Belize I'm just saying a more open competitive market historically brings more jobs and more money not less.

Cuba is a great example of a closed market and the long term effects on the local job market and sandard of living for the majority of the Cuban people.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.