Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#318677 01/14/09 08:10 PM
V
vtinbk Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi All -

I've really enjoyed scoping out the message board in preparation for my first visit to AC. It only makes the time before we leave seem that much farther away...

My question is this: I'm renting a place for a week, and would love to be able to fish on my own around it (dock, wading,etc.). Is there someplace just to rent basic spinning rods, tackle, etc for that (very recreational) use?

Thanks much. Really looking forward to the trip.

K
K
Your best bet is to buy a 3-piece rod and spin reel before you leave. Add $20 worth of jigs and minnow baits. One of the big box sporting retailers should have it all for less than $100. You'll probably make some new friends while fishing, so give it one of the kids when you leave.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Some Rentals would provide you with what you need.

Try fishing like the local kids; use a piece of line with split shot and a hook on the end and toss the line out. It's easy, fun and carrying the material in your luggage is very easy.

The direct answer is no, there isn't.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
M
M
I would agree with Bing, I did this with a couple of kids my last time down and had a blast.

Do you wrap the line/string around your fingers and wrist to keep from losing it? How do you keep from losing your fingers or hand if a fish worth fishing for takes it?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
A
A
I would strongly suggest just bringing an inexpensive 2 piece spinning rod and some basic gear. Bring some bottom fishing equipment like small hooks and weights, then some lures like small spoons, spinners, bettle spin, and grub-type lures. Like others have said, you could leave it to some local kids if you don't want to bring it back.

I had much success on bonefish, small snapper, and small jacks fishing from the dock, but I was staying on the far north end where the shore fishing is probably better. Feel free to email me if you want some more specific info....I don't check this message board much. [email protected]

D
D

Skippy, you state a stupid premise and ask a stupid question based on your stupid premise. That's stupid. Now I know why they call you Skippy. When God was passing out common sense and when He got to you everyone voted skippy.

Well said as usual Danny.

Actually what is stupid is to tell a guy who is asking about fishing equipment availability during his expensive vacation to another country to just use a piece of line with a hook "like the kids here do it." The kids here would use rods and tackle like he refers to if they could but they don't have it. It's not a matter of choice for them. If he brings a simple outfit as recommeneded, he can leave it behind for those kids who, I assure you Danny, will always use it instead of a line with a hook wrapped around their little fingers.

You're welcome, Danny. I know logic isn't your strong suit. Fishing either. But your attempt at sarcasm is a welcome departure from your usual somnific posts about the attributes of terrorists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.