Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Ok....Ive read all the "fishing" posts in the archives. I'm gonna be in San Pedro for a couple of months and Im trying to decide what tackle to bring down. I was gonna bring maybe an ML or a M spinning setup, trying to bridge the gap between bone fishing, permit fishing, and maybe some small tarpon or snook. I am tempted to bringing some fly fishing gear. I have done quite a bit of fly fishing for trout , so fly fishing is a possibility. I would hire a guide a few times, but I would love to do some fishing on my own. I'm gathering that Ambergris is not a very fishing friendly place unless you go out in a boat. Krehfish...are you out there? What should I bring down?

8-wt fast action rod, floating line, mirage leader and tippet. For flies bonefisher bitters, crazy charlies and gotchas weighted and unweighted for shallow flats, various small crab patterns in tan and green, turneffe crab for bones as well as permit. Sizes 4, 6, 8.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
S
OP Offline
S
thanks skippy. does anyone have any advice about spinning tackle?

K
K
Skippy has the FF right-as long as you stay under 30# on the baby tarpon. On the spinning, the ML is fine with a reel capable of 100-150yds. I'm skip the M and go with a MH with a reel capable of 250yds of 20#-you may want to go with a super braid and 20' on mono.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
S
OP Offline
S
Should I skip the 8wt and bring a 9wt if I decide to try for tarpon? I'm assuming that I would only use the 9wt if I went on a Tarpon charter. Could I use the 9wt for bones and permit? Would i get more flexibility from a ML spinning rod if I only brought one rod. I know this sounds scatterbrained, but I'm trying to figure this out. I'm wondering just how much I could use a fly rod if fishing from land. There doesnt seem to be much wading around San Pedro. I was wondering if one could catch a water taxi somewhere to do some wading. Caye Caulker comes to mind. Sorry about all the questions. My freshwater gear is too light, so I'll have to buy whatever I bring down. Thanks

Yes on the 9-wt. I use a 9-wt as well as my 8-wt Sage XPP always bring both.

I think you're lucky to be needing to buy new stuff. I like buying, much to my wife's chagrine. If I didn't have my XP's (best rods Sage ever made, you can find them used on eBay)(but usually only 2-pc) I would be all over the Sage Xi2 890-4 or 990-4, 8-wt and 9-wt respectively 4-pc travel rods. You'll pay close to $700 in fly shops, as low as $550 on eBay for a new one. beautiful blue, great feel. I've demo-ed them, the 8-wt Xi2 feels like a 9-wt when casting, to me, and I would buy that for bones/permit/tarpon. I don't know but wonder if the 4-pc set-up increases the stiffness with 3 joints instead of 1.

FYI if you bring a 2-pc saltwater rod you can bring it on rather than checking. American will put it in the coat rack as you enter the plane. The 4-pc you can usually get in your carry-on.

Get a good saltwater reel with a large arbor, you'll need it. Rinse it well, or just leave it in a sink of water overnight.

I'd say I'm jealous but I'll be there doing that very soon.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
K
K
I don't know what you have for FW gear, but any 10#-15# bass/walleye/pike set up will do for bones,cudas, small jacks. You need to bump up for tarpon over 30#, but practically, that'll be with a guide and he'll have equipment. For the fly gear, you can use a 6wt to a 9wt for bones. It's not the fish so much as it is the wind. If it's up significantly you'll want that 9. Again that 8 or 9 will do for tarpon to about 30#, and fish over that will likely be with a guide, and he'll have equipment. If I was planning a mostly DIY trip, I'd take what I have and live with it, rather than buying a bunch of new stuff. Spend the $ on a guide. Hopefully you have an 8, which kinda splits all the needs. If you get hooked, then invest for the next trip(s).

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
S
OP Offline
S
I only have a couple of 5wt fly rods. I lived in Colorado a number of years and fished the small rivers for trout. I have a couple of bass bait casting rigs for largemouth and a super UL for pond fishing. I need to buy whatever I'm gonna need. I figure since Im gonna be there a couple of months I will have time to pursue the fishing. I hate to load up on gear that I dont absolutely just have to have. I'm gonna have to save some serious coin for those Belikins! I'm hoping that I will meet someone with whom I can share expenses on a guide or whatever. Keep those suggestions coming guys....would you buy an 8 or a 9 if you could only have one down there?

OK, I went and got out my 8-wt and 9-wt XP's and my 3-pc RPLx 8wt, since I need to put them in the travel tube with the trolling and spinning rods anyway. The RPLx is too soft and slow, it's staying. XP's are fast and stiff. Not much difference between them so I would go 9wt to give yourself the tarpon option. Lefty krehfish brings up the wind so you will appreciate the 9wt there. 8 is considered ideal by most but that's if you're doing bones or permit only.

Yeah, if you're there that long you need to buy some decent stuff. Take some of the flies with even if you plan to buy some from your guides.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,469
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.