Darren & Wendy, the owners of the popular Habaneros Restaurant, lost their home to fire last night.
The home and all its contents were completely destroyed.
Sources say the cause of the fire was presumed to be electrical, relating to a hot water heater.
According to several sources, the house could have been saved had there been a steady supply of water in the area. The fire department responded timely and professionally but found themselves unable to access water. They had to literally dig a make shift well first.
Many of the houses in that area have water piped to them from a well located at the airstrip administered by the Village Council. Information we have received is that the water supply from that well has been sporadic at best, with the village council cutting off the water supply at nights.
One irate resident who contacted us actually said: “It’s been weeks that we only have water on and off. It’s ridiculous that the Village Council doesn’t care. They out the pump at night for what reason I don’t know, because we need water. Also, the other day, we thought we didn’t have water because of WASA but it was because the Village Council didn’t pay the light bill and BEL cut the power out for four days. Also our streets are so bad the fire engine couldn’t get close cause the streets are muddy. It’s really bad. It sucks!”
Unfortunately, Darren and Wendy lost everything and need help. If you can help Darren and Wendy with anything, a night’s accommodation, some clothes, etc., please get in touch with them at Habaneros.
Caye Caulker Chronicles