Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
In the Belize City airport we bought 4 liters (very cheap) put it in our backpacks and took it on the plane. We flew into Dallas. If we had continued to another US city and did not leave the terminal, would we still have to pack the bottles in our checked? I am asking for another couple who are coming with us on our next trip and connecting in Dallas on the return.

Thanks

(I never though about buying in US on beginning of trip, great idea!)

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
B
B
If you connect to any destination at the port of entry, DFW in this case, you must repack your liquor purchase and check it in to your final destination. Although you are not leaving the terminal, you are leaving the secured customs area and re-entering the terminal. You will have to go through security again as well. Pain in the butt, but that is the way it is.

Hon Offline
Originally Posted by lv2trvl
Thank you all so much for your help! We are going to pack any alcohol we bring home in our checked luggage so that it is not confiscated coming back into the US. We live in Atlanta, so we'll have a connection from Miami to home, and I'm not going to take my chances.

You won't be able to pack duty free in your checked luggage. You have to check your bags when you check in for your return flight and you have to show your return ticket to purchase duty free.

You will have to put the duty free booze in your bag after you pick it up in Miami before you go through customs for your onward flight.

Of course, you won't have this problem if you buy regular priced stuff in San Pedro.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Thanks for clearing that up. I will pass it along to the other couple. Maybe they'll just let us bring their's home. laugh

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
L
lv2trvl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Well, like I said I don't know what duty-free means, so I was just planning on purchasing alcohol at a store and not in the Belize airport and packing it in my checked luggage. I wish I could get it cheaper, but I don't know how to travel internationally and don't know what I can and can't do. Everything I look up online uses jargon that I don't understand so I am left to my own devices. I guess once I make this trip, I might not be so ignorant! I do however, know the US laws regarding what can and cannot go into carry on luggage so I know that I could(if I wanted to) put alcohol into a carry-on bag into Miami, but will not be able to get it home to Atlanta. I really appreciate all of the help each of you have offered! :)I guess ultimately my question is will I have an opportunity to pack the alcohol in my checked luggage once I get to Miami if I carry it on from Belize City? Thank you!

Last edited by lv2trvl; 01/20/09 07:44 PM.
When you arrive in Miami from Belize City, you will need to claim your checked luggage to take it through customs. After you are finished with customs, you will recheck your bags and go through security again to your new gates.

You can move things around all you between customs and rechecking of your bags.

L
lv2trvl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you!! I didn't know that this was an option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.