Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
I need to know if anyone has ever been successful using their phone's email capabilities while in AC.

We will be arriving Jan 27 and I was misinformed by Verizon, I believe. First they said I could, now not so much.

Let me say, I am not a Blackberry addict, but that is how I was planning on staying in contact. It sounds now like that most probably won't happen. I am fine with being out of touch while I am on VACATION. I work for myself and thought I would sneek away. OOOppppssss!
I had been looking into the process and today was informed while purchasing my new global package and SIM card that Belize is not accessible.

Anybody try this before? Anybody successful? Should I just check in at an Internet Cafe everyday? Do they have computers there for the renting/borrowing? Is that what an internet cafe is? You don't bring the computer, they have it?

I know, and they actually sold me a blackberry, can you believe it?

Thanks for the help. Little dissapointed if it doesn't work, but not destroyed. And definitely NOT cancelling my trip. See you all in a few days. Can't wait!

Florist Ferny

S
S
When I was there in November I could text but the email and internet part did not work and I have international on my blackberry.

S
S
Belize is still one of the ends of the earth...

I have Verizon and I could text with no problem.

G
G
I was just there and my Sprint Blackberry had issues with texting, no problem with phone calls(other than $3.49 per min) and I stayed at a hotel (Spindrift) that had free WiFi in the rooms. There are other places with free WiFi also, depends on the accommodations and cost that you desire. I kept in contact with family by email and I would recommend staying at a hotel with free WiFi as it will save you money.

OP Offline
Thank you all for the great response. I was so excited when they said it was possible and then irritated when they said it wouldn't work - only because it seemed too good to be true.

Texting is probably free then when you are there, just like here if you have the right plan.

At least with Verizon the calls are only $1.62/minute.

And as for computer use, you can borrow a computer at a cafe'? We are staying at Ruby's (all paid for by a friend, so we will not be changing hotels) do they have internet? Wouldn't think so.

Florist Ferny

M
M
ATT blackberry did not work for me, at least not with a POP mail account. It may work with the Blackberry server e-mail though. I had no problems with text or regular telephone except for the bill. I really don't know how much an international plan saves you, I've got it and the bills I've had would stagger you.

Something interesting was that I could not dial a number manually but I could call by using my phone book.......strange.

Mark

N
N
Be very careful using your net enabled phone. Some can keep checking your e-mail even when your no on it. Not fun to come home to a $8,000 phone bill.

P
P
There's wireless all over the place, and there are lots of internet cafes. No problems staying in touch.

E
E
I'm going to disable my Bberry email capabilities between Houston and BZE. I take my laptop and check email every night (Paradise Villas has free WiFi) because I have to pay for these Belize vacations!

When I was there last year I didn't have an internet enabled phone. When the tropical storm hit I had to make some emergency calls to arrange other flights and it cost me a pretty penny but was worth it. Plus I learned not to text or answer any texts due to the costs. This time I probably won't even turn the darn thing on during the week. I've sent emails to my clients asking for all correspondence next week to be via email, I'll change my voicemail message before I leave and everyone important knows how to contact me in an emergency.

It's my vacation. The last thing I want is to carry my phone around.

God Bless The Reef!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.