Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
We just visted Ambergris for the first time and, like many others before us, fell in love with the place. I looked at options about moving there, and one option seems to be to atain QPR status (qualified retired person) which would apparently allow one to run a business at the same time. I would be interested to hear from expats who have attained QRP status, or are in the process of doing so--if you would be willing to share your experience (the good, the bad and the ugly) that would be awesome.
marina

Originally Posted by marina16
one option seems to be to atain QPR status (qualified retired person) which would apparently allow one to run a business at the same time.

That's not how I understand it.

As far as I have heard if you are retired you can't work and you have to have a set amount of monthly income.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

When I was there last year it was US$2,000.00 a month

I came in on the QRP program. I applied in September of 2003 and was approved by November. I paid an agent who paid the government close to $2,000.00 US. This allowed me to bring in a container of my personal belongings duty free. FREE meaning that the money I paid covered the duty.
HOWEVER. Right at that time a bunch of residency cards were stolen and it took years (I think 3 or 4) for them to get new cards. I carried all of my paperwork with me whenever I went in and out of the country. ANOTHER HOWEVER! Immigration would not honor this as the program was administered by the Belize Tourism Board and those naughty people didn't "ask" the immigration people for their blessing.
I finally received by residency card four years almost to the date of approval. And guess what? It clearly says "Temporary Resident - expires February 2008." That meant it was good for only 3 months. I then had to go to Belize City with a new picture - new papers - $50 and PROOF that I had spent $2,000.00 US each month.
The requirements stated you had to have proof of income of that amount - not that you had to have proof that you spent that amount. The fact that I had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on property the year before did not carry over to the next year.
Needless to say I am very frustrated with this program that keeps making up the rules as they go along. I have all my assets in Belize, own four pieces of property on which I pay taxes and am still treated like a visitor.
My understanding is that you can own a business here but I'm not sure you could get a work permit to work in your own business. That is a fuzzy line. Many people who came in on this program have packed up and left.
The short sightedness of bureaucrats here is astounding!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Harriette why dont you become a Permanent Resident or a Citizen? I had to live there 12 months without leaving for more than 14 days and then it took 3 months to become a permanent resident.

Once you come in under the QRP program, it's not that simple, you have to revoke your QRP status and pay duty on all the things you brought in under the one year "duty free" exclusion in the program.

Change your Latitude
M
OP Offline
M
Thx for the in-depth reply. I also emailed the TourismBoard to try and get this clarified. I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. My first expatration was to Spain over 20 years ago (from Germany)-I now live in the US-- so I know how complicated paper work can get. Did you have similar negative experiences when you bought your properties?

M
OP Offline
M
Hi taco girl:
thx for the reply. I saw your website during the reseearch I did before we went to Ambergris. I will check out the source you provided. In our case, we would probably have the option of the QRP program or just going with straightforwrd immigration. How was your move down there--positive or negative experience?

I think the QRP process has changed for the better, and is quite efficient now. The main benefit of QRP is the duty exemption. If you are not bringing in a lot of goodies then you might as well come in the old fashioned way - tourist visa renewed over and over, then apply for residency. After that you are set.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.