Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#321431 01/30/09 01:35 AM
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Was just curious about this. When I lived in Myrtle Beach for a couple years we (as locals) always would enjoy getting either a) discounts on activities or meals or b) skip the wait line. This was to mainly make the locals happy with the restaurants/excursions so that during the non tourist season they would be more likely to come back. This helped keep the economy moving while tourists weren't flocking in numbers.

Do they practice similar habits on the Caye? Again this would be for permanent residents not just someone coming in for a month.

Cheaper tacos tacogirl? lol

AC

Last edited by A C; 01/30/09 01:36 AM.
ha ha AC I only eat the tacos not make them.

Yes some people offer local price if you live here.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

P
P
When costs are covered by tourists (at normal published prices) there are often discounts for locals. When I ran my diveshop I always charged locals half what I charged visitors, subject to the above proviso. And that's pretty common. When I went to another dive shop with a trip going out I never had to pay to join it, and nor did the pros who worked there to come on mine. Locals even get a discount at DandE's ice cream!

Note - it's not just living locally that entitles you, it's being in business locally, often a competing business. And of course some businesses either don't do it at all, or are selective about who they give freebies/discounts.

I was conned once into giving a diving course at half price by a local who came to me and said it was a present for his son. When the son arrived he turned out to be living and working in America and making a lot more money than I did here (not difficult!).

I would hope that there would be a certain amount of common sense applied to the issue: a high end restaurant catering primarily to tourists may be happy to give a 10% reduction to a "local" or in some cases a property owner or frequent visitor, but if its a place that get most of its business from locals, then the prices reflect that?

I do not ever remember a line in San Pedro, there are not those sorts of clubs, and dive trips and adventure tours are going to be flexible if you in turn are: eg. if you have to dive this site at this time...full price, if you want to get wet tuesday or wednesday, keep checking your phone and I'll fit you in for the cost of air, a contribution towards gas and a tip for the guys on the boat smile

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by pugwash
I do not ever remember a line in San Pedro, there are not those sorts of clubs, and dive trips and adventure tours are going to be flexible if you in turn are: eg. if you have to dive this site at this time...full price, if you want to get wet tuesday or wednesday, keep checking your phone and I'll fit you in for the cost of air, a contribution towards gas and a tip for the guys on the boat smile

yeah that was more of the stuff I was talking about. something that is free for the person anyway, and you hook them up with some cash for tip/gas etc.

AC

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.