Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#322553 02/05/09 09:50 AM
L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is a very social place, San Pedro is. Days, for many, revolve around who they will meet in the morning for a 10 minute gossip and then being the fourth in a card game in the afternoon. When a regular misses a few evenings at his usual watering hole the "Where's Waldo" alarm is raised. Coffee every morning at "the Perk" and BC's for lunch . San Pedro is the perfect setting for the extrovert.

I have always been an introvert. I will be the one sitting in the corner watching people over the pages of my book, not the one dancing on the bar. I am happy to see my friends having a fun time, but for me, it would be out of character to actually participate. I like to be around a crowd but not comfortable in one. An introvert is very content to remain on the sidelines as an listener/observer and let others engage. Thus they are often deemed snobbish, stand-offish and cold. People think they are sad or something is wrong when nothing could be further from the truth. The introvert gets stimulus from watching the goings-on around them, not from the participating. In a nutshell, introverts are not anti-social, loners or always angry at the world, they are just wired differently and different settings make them happy.

Dan, on the other hand is an extrovert. He can make small talk on a myriad of subjects with strangers and friends, announce the chicken drop with boisterous enthusiasm and get out from behind his drums, grab the microphone and feel completely comfortable. He is fun, happy and lovable and totally at ease in social settings. He is approachable and people are drawn to his energy. He enjoys his daytime sojourns to spend time with his friends and neighbors and his evenings hours are filled by entertaining and being a part of the fun. The extrovert thrives on the excitement of what is happening around him and instantly becomes a part of it.

So after watching the 200+ people the past few nights, I thought it might be interesting to find out what people think of themselves. The introverts, the extroverts and everyone in between. Which one are you?

In SP, I am considered an extrovert. Back home, most people would call me an introvert, or, at the least, reserved. Like Sherry says, SP is a very social place!! smile

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
KC, I loved the photos, as soon as I figure out how to use the photo program on this comuter I will be getting them on the website.
What is the name of that bar you hang in back home?

You mean where Scotty works?? Buzzard Beach!!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
Introvert:

I am typically quiet in crowds and much prefer one on one dialogue about substantive issues to "chatter", although in virtual world, I have become far more outgoing.

Perhaps that's because one doesn't have to compete for air time, and comments will always surface in "chat" even when there are several different conversations going on at once?

Content not volume will steer conversations?

I will usually say nothing rather than just talk for the sake of it, and I read for several hours each day....

I have Mrs Pug to ensure that its never quiet for too long though smile

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
Originally Posted by pugwash
Introvert:

I am typically quiet in crowds and much prefer one on one dialogue about substantive issues to "chatter", although in virtual world, I have become far more outgoing.

Perhaps that's because one doesn't have to compete for air time, and comments will always surface in "chat" even when there are several different conversations going on at once?

Content not volume will steer conversations?

I will usually say nothing rather than just talk for the sake of it, and I read for several hours each day....

I have Mrs Pug to ensure that its never quiet for too long though smile

I might add you represent the pervert demographic very well too. smile

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
Is there a name for something in between?
With me it depends on the situation and the people. There are times where I will "people watch" and then join in where I deem it may be exciting, stimulating conversation and just plain old fun. Other times I may just join right in. It is really is about the "who, what, where" for me, and my mood. Sometimes I am out for fun and laughs and sometimes for the social conversation, or both. I have no problem with meeting new people or introducing myself in new situations.
And if it is not for me then I move on.

"All people smile in the same language"
Originally Posted by pugwash
Originally Posted by dogmatic prevaricator
I might add you represent the pervert demographic very well too. smile

I am prepared to defer to an expert on that subject wink

You have a personal relationship with newt? smile

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
P
P
Originally Posted by Shopgirl
Is there a name for something in between?
With me it depends on the situation and the people. There are times where I will "people watch" and then join in where I deem it may be exciting, stimulating conversation and just plain old fun. Other times I may just join right in. It is really is about the "who, what, where" for me, and my mood. Sometimes I am out for fun and laughs and sometimes for the social conversation, or both. I have no problem with meeting new people or introducing myself in new situations.
And if it is not for me then I move on.

Let's just get on with the original topic and leave our friends to bitch at each other, shall we? I feel something akin to what you're saying, but I can't quite get my thoughts in gear so I hadn't posted yet. On a broad brush approach Harriette is right about the two classifications, but it's really far more complex than that. I often find myself "people watching" and it's a very pleasurable pastime. I often don't join in a conversation because I don't know enough about the subject, I know too much and want to hear others declare their positions, I find the topic unstimulating, I suspect ulterior motives, or for any of a multitude of other reasons. I'm averse to crowds as a matter of principle, both because of the "mob hysteria" possibilities and because it's where bad guys go to pick pockets, etc.

My initial thoughts.

N
N
It seems I am at the extreme polar opposites at times. Most times I can talk to a wall and get it to talk back. But when we were in SP last May I was an introvert. It was very strange for me. I don't know why I couldn't strike up a conversation with anybody. There was one couple (won't name names here) at BC's that were talking to everybody. They were obviously people that lived on island, their picture is posted on this site several times, but no matter what I said to them I couldn't get them to say more than one or two words to me. For me it was very uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.