Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
I hope you guys can help me. I am flying in from Ft Lauderdale to San Pedro Sulas 2/24 and returning 3/11 (call it 3/10 cause it's at 1:00am 3/11)

I am traveling alone and my intention was to fart around Honduras for 5 days and take the Monday 3/2 ferry (www.belizeferry.com) to Placencia, and make my way up to split my time between Caye Caulker (friends) and San PedroTown (hang out) before retracing my steps. I didn't realize the ferry/water taxi only goes Belize to Honduras on Friday's?? Is this true? Yes, i have sent them an email inquirey and tried a few phone calls that didn't connect.

I need another route back to San Pedro Sulas from Belize city on 3/9 or 3/10. Unfortunately i need an economical route...
Changing those flight dates is not an option.
Thanks so much for any help, i can't wait to get back there.
Ed

P
P
I wrote to the ferry company a few months ago and had a prompt reply. I suggest you try again. I've never made the journey, but I believe their published schedule is the only direct transport available. There may be an air option (check with Tropic) but depending what you mean by "economical" it won't be. Otherwise you can go by bus - I believe it takes around three days, via Guatemala City. Looks like you may have to modify your plans radically.

It's good to check these things BEFORE buying an unalterable air ticket.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Peter,
Just for the record, i know i screwed this up - i have done plenty of travel both business and pleasure. I looked into the ferry option long before i made this flight purchase and "remembered" what i wanted to, and forgot the important stuff.

That said, a 3 day bus ride (if that's what it is) isn't going to help extend my time in Belize. I need a better option.
Thanks again,
Ed

P
P
It may not be three days - that's just what I remember.

No, I was thinking that you'll have to take an earlier ferry and cut short your time in Honduras.

I believe there are still two weekly boats between Belize and Puerto Cortes, Honduras: D Express from Placencia on Friday morning and the Nesymein Neydy out of Dangriga on Saturday morning. Express returns Monday and NN on Tuesday. Cost is US$55 each way. To confirm times, etc. for D-Express check with the BTIA office in Placencia -- email [email protected] or call 501-202-4506. For NN try 501-522-0063 in Dangriga. You could also check with Mundo Maya Travel in the Marine Terminal in Belize City, 501-223-0457, as I think they'll make reservations and sell you a ticket.

There are other options. For example, you can take one of the three daily water taxis from Punta Gorda to Puerto Barrios (three different companies, with departures at 9:30, 2 and 4, around US$20), Guatemala, and then from there make your way by bus to San Pedro Sula. This is your cheapest option.

Another option is to fly from Savannah (across the lagoon from Placencia, with connections from other points) on Maya Island Air nonstop to San Pedro Sula. Fare is US$163 -- not sure if Maya does their cash discount on this flight or not. The web site suggests the flight is daily, but it's not -- email or call Maya for the current days they fly.

I believe, but haven't checked recently, that Atlantic Air is still flying three times a week from Belize City (BZE) to San Pedro Sula. Fare is in the US$150 range.

Another, fairly recent option is a shuttle van/bus from Belize City to San Pedro Sula. Last schedule I saw was that it left Belize City at 6 am Saturday and is supposed to get to San Pedro Sula at 6 p.m. that same day. Cost is US$60. Check with Mundo Maya Travel for tickets. Somebody told me they had taken it and the passengers were kind of a rough bunch, but I have no personal experience with it.

The other option is to take public buses from Belize's western border at Benque through Guatemala to Honduras.

Note that the above prices don't include exit taxes and fees. The exit tax by boat is only US$3.75, by land US$18.75 and by air up to almost US$40 if flying out of BZE.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Lan,

That's what i was after! I will run with this and touch base again if i need a little more help.
Ed

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.