Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OP Offline
O
Yo, I've got a party of 6 that's just bought tix to BZE for march 28 - april 5. We're stuck in choosing Ambergris vs Placencia.

Ideally we want:
- 3 bedroom place
- pool
- good sandy beach
- walk to town
- bicycle rentals

- not averse to 'resort/hotel' style places.

interested in:
- snorkeling
- fishing
- (i will be bringing my kitesurf gea, r).

questions:
1) how are the prices of activities such as snorkel boat charters and fishing trips leaving ambergris and placencia...ie is there a substantial difference in fees from each spot?
2) anyone with any experience with van charters / rides to get to placencia from BZE?
3) we know placencia is less developed...how many total restaurants and bars are there?
4) what time does the wind pick up? how long and hard does it blow for?

i can't help with the A.C. side of the questions but,, here is some placencia help.

1. snorkel trips to the cayes are from approx 9:am to 4:pm with lunch provided on a caye. price start at approx 65$us pp for inner cayes. more for the outer cayes.

2. i don't know how much a van charter would be, alot i assume! flights to Placencia are 189$us rt.

3.PLENTY of both! and i am sure there are many many more on A.C.

4. can't say for sure but it's blowin like crazy right now!!

barn, you live down there and i dont, but i swear - between 3 and 5 PM, when we US east coasters got hungry, there was not one single place open for us to eat. not one. we ended up with ice cream at tutti fruitti (granted, best ice cream ever), and drove back to the inn.

wendy's
omar's
cozy corner
barefoot beach bar
pickled parrot
grill-&-go
french connection
merlens
the galley
crows nest
yoli's
saranade
3 or 4 chinese joints
amigo's
rumfish
secret garden
de-tatch

those are off the top of my beer soaked head and i am sure i am missing a bunch.
plus all the resorts have their own restaurant and bars and this is just 'down town' Placencia.
and it seems to get better all the time!
maybe you were here in the 'off' season?

barefoot beach bar
pickled parrot
french connection
de-tatch
tipsy tuna
inn@roberts grove

I was at all of these two weeks ago and all were great!
Drove by your place Barn, sorry we didn't have time to stop. Next year I'll thow a case of beer in the back and stop by.
It'll be alot different around there, if they finish the road by then?

I've already told you more than I know.
barn, pretty much everything i do is 'off'. laugh

Ambergris Caye is much nicer.
Placencia is probably cheaper.

Live and let live
S
S
Placencia is very nice...lots of great people!

Placencia today is like AC was when I first visited ten years ago.

I've already told you more than I know.
P
P
The Barrier Reef is much closer to San Pedro than Placencia - 1/4 mile vs 12 miles - so it's more accessible for half day trips for Snorkelling and Diving and therefore a little cheaper. There are however Cayes and Reefs closer to Placencia than the Reef but they are still quite a bit further out, such as laughing Bird Caye, and as mentioned above they are a full day trip.

Example Prices in San Pedro. Half Day Snorkel Trip either Hol Chan Marine Reserve or Mexico Rockes, both morning or afternoon trips, 2 different Snorkel stops US$38 per person. Full day snorkel trips either Manatee Trip including Goffs Caye or up to Bacalaar Chico Marine Reserve in the remote north at the Mexican Border inc lunch three snorkel stops in the US$90 range per person. A days Reef Fishing is around US$270 for a full day up to four people or Fly Fishing at same price but smaller boat with up to two people.

A lot of people prefer the beaches of Placencia and they are easier on the eye with less docks. I prefer San Pedro where there is the white powder sand and the blue green water the mainland often doesn't have due to the river run off.

Wind picks up as the day goes on and there is a Kite Surf Shop in San Pedro called Sailsports Belize who can give you more info and tips and they do drop offs on the Reef for Kitesurfers who want a change of scene from the beach starts and start further North and come back into town on the trade breeze - dependant on where you stay.

I think it's safe to say you'll have a good time whichever town you pick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.