Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B

Hey Guys,

I'm planning a trip to Belize for April for 1 month. Does anyone know of any hostels in Belize that offer work exchange programs in exchange for free accomadation?

doubtful since you cannot work without a work permit, sorry

B
OP Offline
B
in the work exchange program you don't get paid, you do about 24hrs in a hostel in various positions to cover staying in the hostel for free

S
S
Yes, breakofdawn - isn't this the craziest? You have to buy a work permit to volunteer in Belize. I think it's $100.

BTW - I am so sure all of those mission groups and anyone volunteering for SAGA or Holy Cross follow the proper procedure...

S
S
Your passport will be clearly stamped "Permitted to remain on condition that the holder does not enter into employment paid or unpaid and does not engage in any business or profession without the consent of the director of immigration..."

Doing volunteer work for an organization that benefits the community is a bit different than trying to get a free stay for doing work that could be done by a national or resident.

S
S
Oh, BTW, when I was with Saga they did apply for volunteer work permits...

B
OP Offline
B
thats crazy paying for permit to volunteer wow

S
S
It allows away around the stamp in the passport. It also appears to be no different than many other countries including the US: http://www.laborimmigration.com/2008/02/unpaid-volunteer-work-on-h-1b-h-4-or-f-1-visas/

S
S
I love all the posts from people who get upset about Belize immigration laws but don't bother to think about the laws of their own country.

Many Belizeans would love to be able to run up to the States or Canada and grab a job in the area of their choice but they can't because of immigration laws. Why should this country be looked down upon for its right to enforce it's own immigration laws.

B
OP Offline
B

I don't know if your last comment was directed to me. I don't look down at Belize Immigration laws. But I was looking at travelling to many hot subtropical to tropical counties that had work exchange program that didn't require any permits so its an aggreement with the participate and hostel. And its not a program recognize by immigration like many exchange programs geared to having many people from other countries to come to countries like Belize for a learning experience

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 293 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.