Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32681 12/28/00 08:57 PM
M
OP Offline
M
We have heard that Belize is the "hammerhead shark capital of the world"!

We are arriving March 5th and plan on doing a lot of snorkeling (and one of us will be diving). The thought of hammerhead sharks (or any other kind of shark, for that matter) is daunting!

Would someone PLEASE give us the straight goods on the shark situation there????!!!!

If there ARE sharks, where are they (and don't say "in the water". What I mean is, is there a snorkel or dive site where they AREN'T??

Thanks for any info.

#32682 12/29/00 12:22 AM
I haven't heard anything about hammerheads, but I hope you can get over the case of nerves and snorkle Shark Ray Alley. The only sharks there are nurse sharks and they have trained people to bring them food. The dinner bell (boat motor) brings them in and your guide will feed them so you can get a close look or even stroke one. If they're too close for comfort just back up a bit, there's plenty of ocean. It's truely an amazing experience and it sure impresses the folks back home!
Have a great trip
MamaLiz

#32683 12/29/00 03:45 PM
thats plain nutty butter.

no mean old sharks around here. you will find nurse sharks, AKA woosy sharks, at many dive sites. out at the blue holle/atolls you might see a few tigers, also non- meat eating.

the nurse sharks are like big old catfish. plankton suckers, small fish. they ain't gonna eat you.

We have many many hours diving in Belize, and have yet to see a threatening type of shark.

#32684 12/30/00 06:18 AM
M
M
There are hammerheads in the waters off of Ambergris Caye, BUT they're found mostly along the mainland coast in and around the shallow lagoons, and occasionally in the canals in the Cangrejo area. Neither place is a mecca for snorkelers or divers. And Marty is quite correct - nurse and lemon sharks are to be found occasionally elsewhere where divers/snorkelers go, but they are woosies. They're fun to swim with, though, at Shark and Ray Alley.

#32685 12/30/00 06:54 PM
D
D
I've heard about one pretty good sized on that hangs near the San Pedro cut. I've never been lucky eough to see him, though I have tried on several occations. We are not food! We don't look like fish. I have never heard apof an attack on the Island. Come and enjoy the striking beauty of our waters.

#32686 01/01/01 10:26 PM
L
Leo Offline
L
The only man eating sharks I've heard of that purposely go after humans are off the SouthEast coast of Africa.
They aren't like humans who hunt for sport.
You have a better chance of getting a small cut by a school of mullet in a popular beach in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. that didn't see you in their path.
I don't have to worry about sharks in Ambergris because I have some Greek blood in my veins and the magick dolphins will protect me. Ha!Ha!LOL
Leo
Ps. You're more safe in the water than where I live on land. I would ask you to report about your experience so I will know for sure, but if I didn't hear from you I might assume JAWS had something to do with it.
I usually bring along a hammer for those HammerHeads when I go.

I do know one thing for sure in my travels. No-Seeums, sand fleas, and mosquitos can ruin my whole day and will try to suck the blood out of you in seconds.

Have a good day!
AKA....smart---

[This message has been edited by Leo (edited 01-01-2001).]

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.