Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
What I don't get is the definition of "volunteer" and have had many misleading definitions. For example, if a person helps out at a fundraiser, do they need a work permit? What about teaching a class at Holy Cross? What about helping at Saga a couple days a week? What about fundraising activities for Neighborhood Watch? Someone said that you don't need a work permit for non profit groups, but I am not so sure of that.

I asked Immigration last week again and this time they said that the specific organization must complete a letter spelling out your duties which you must submit with the application which has to go through an approval process (not sure of the time frame...).

I would wager a bet that there aren't too many non USA citizens volunteering in the US, but plenty who have been working for lower wages.

We attempted to volunteer teach english in the prison. Not allowed, had to get work permit. We sure were not taking any jobs away but it is the law. Many do not do it and get away with it, but it is the law.

S
S
Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
What I don't get is the definition of "volunteer" and have had many misleading definitions. For example, if a person helps out at a fundraiser, do they need a work permit? What about teaching a class at Holy Cross? What about helping at Saga a couple days a week? What about fundraising activities for Neighborhood Watch? Someone said that you don't need a work permit for non profit groups, but I am not so sure of that.

If you are not a resident or not holding work permit papers you technically need a volunteer permit for any of those activities. The stamp in your passport is pretty clear. The statement about not needing a permit for non profits is incorrect. What you were told at immigration is correct.

If you get caught without the right paperwork you go to jail, fined and deported. That is the LAW I believe.

In this example the person actually isn't a volunteer.

He / she wants to work in exchange for a place to stay. The "free" place to stay is the equivalent of monetary payment.

Not the same as a true volunteer who expects / accepts nothing in exchange for their work or service.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
That is not correct by Belizean law.

You mean the last part right?

I'm not saying a person can legally volunteer in Belize without a permit. I know one is required by law. And I have one, suppossedly anyway. I have a verbal from the secretary of the medical counsel reporting my approval from the counsel but I have yet to receive any documentation.

I was only pointing out the fact that this example isn't an example of volunteering at all.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 03/06/09 10:37 AM.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
K
K
How are the many church/youth missions that build/fix houses permitted?

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
K
K
Tommy - as an MD you need both a temporary medical license and a work permit to volunteer - one from the medical board, the other from immigration.

S
S
So here we have an example of someone with expertise as a Board certified Pediatrician (which we do not have on the island currently - probably not in the entire country) and it's roadblock after roadblock. This is truly bizarre and I don't even have children...

Let's just hope we can get the injured or sick child to the US or Mexico in time!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.