Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#328134 03/13/09 01:10 PM
K
Katsc4 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Our first trip down is in 42 days and I have a question about the bugs this time of year. As I talk to people about our trip the answer is, take PLENTY of bug spray. What are they like late April? I am not a huge fan of bug sprays, yet dont want to be a welted mess the whole week either.

We spent a day cave tubing in Belize a few years back when we took our kids on a cruise and I dont recall the bugs being an issue. It was December when we took the cruise.

I am so looking forward to this vacation and it is long overdue and well deserved for me and my husband and I am trying to cover as many bases as I can prior to arriving so all we have to do is relax and have some FUN!!!

~Kat

Katsc4 #328136 03/13/09 01:15 PM
Kat,

If you are a mosquito magnet like I am, you will get bitten even in the blazing sun. If you were over at Jaguar Paw cave tubing and didn't get bitten, I doubt if you will this time around.

What makes the difference is whether or not it rains. While I will be attacked any time of the year, rain or shine, most people don't have a problem until a couple days after it rains, as this is when the mosquitoes lay their eggs.

You can buy bug spray here but it is very expensive. We always suggest that you bring some with you just so you don't have to go out and buy it here, in the event that you do need it.

Change your Latitude
shuffles #328138 03/13/09 01:22 PM
B
B
I am usually bitten when mosquitos are out...not quite the magnet Shuffles is.

Summer is bad...I get a few mosquito bites a day...July - October. December thru February, I usually don't get one at all...the whole time. Now it's maybe once or twice a week, if I'm somewhere away from the ocean breeze.

If you bring some OFF, spritz it on your ankles before you go out at night, you should be fine.

BrusselSprout #328139 03/13/09 01:22 PM
B
B
That all being said...I do not live north of the bridge.

shuffles #328140 03/13/09 01:24 PM
My wife is a big fan of Avon, Skin So Soft Bath Oil. She got that info from the owner of Palmetto Bay Resort in Placencia.
She never gets bit, ever.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
champion #328148 03/13/09 01:58 PM
JZB Offline
April is normally hot, dry and breezy so mosquitos shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to stay in the breeze or the sandflies will find you. Sandfly bites are far worse than mosquitos (at least for me). If Sandflies are a problem, a thick layer of baby oil on your skin should keep them from biting, or stay inside or in the wind during their feeding time (sunset and sunrise).

JZB #328160 03/13/09 02:55 PM
I hate being bitten sick by bugs whether it's mosquito's or sand flies, fleas or flies. I have been to San Pedro twice heart, both in June, and received very few bites. The main thing I use is bounce dryer sheets. I do a quick rub on exposed skin and even hair. This is a practice I have picked up living here in Minnesota, a.k.a. Minnesquito grin . I also run a child care and have used the same routine with them. I feel it is much safer than using bug spray. Though I use bug sprays when I don't have access to my dryer sheets.

What ever you choose to use I'm sure you will enjoy your time on the island. smile And have a rum punch for me laugh

It's great to be .....

JZB #328161 03/13/09 02:57 PM
my personal experience is the bugs on the island are way more prevalent than on the mainland, so don't use that as a gage.

jzb is spot on - dawn & dusk the worst times (particularly after a rainfall). much worse in summer thru october. i add a dollop of 100% deet to regular cutter and works great. i always take a tube of benadryl cream for the ones who find my Achilles heels and in 2 minutes they are forgotton. smile

don't make a big deal of it - it shouldn't be that bad in April.

sweetjane #328162 03/13/09 02:58 PM
ha ha terrie - my son insisted on walking around with bounce sheets in his pockets!

sweetjane #328167 03/13/09 03:26 PM
If you are anywhere near sand, like sitting in a nice outdoor patio bar or restaurant, the noseeums, aka sandfleas or sandflies, will find you. I even got eaten alive at Elvi's Kitchen, with its charming sand floors. My experience was that the bites look worse than they feel, mostly itchy for a day or two, but very bright purple red and about the size of a dime. This is caused by an allergic reaction to their saliva. OFF seems to keep them away and Calamine works if you do get any bites. I had no problem with mosquitos in SP but they were plentiful and hungry up north island.

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.