Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
Are vests provided for you when you go snorkeling, or do I need to bring them from the states? They don't have them to rent at the hotels for snorkeling off of the pier, do they?

S
S
All of the licensed guide boats have lifejackets on board which you can use while snorkeling. Hotels would be unlikely to have them, then again you can stand up in the water around 90% of the docks.

W
OP Offline
W
Oh - that shallow? So, I wouldn't really need one except when I am on a guide boat?

P
P
They're not usually proper snorkelling jackets, which can be deflated to allow for duck diving, but life preservers which are designed to keep the head above water at all times. An option followed by most (all?) snorkel guides is to take a flotation ring that anyone can hold onto if they start to get tired.

the guide boats have vests, but usually if i want one i have to ask - don;t be shy. yes,it's pretty shallow, and sometimes i feel dumb asking for one, but i wear a vest because by the end of the snorkel tour (depending on weather) swimming against the current for an hour straight can get more tiring than you may think. by the end, my son (a strong swimmer) was asking me (and my vest) to let him hang on and drag him back to the boat. the vest just makes the tour a bit safer, and way effortless. even when i did a snorkel off Ramon's dock, i borrowed a vest from their shop (again dragging young son on the way back, and was glad i did). JMO.

D
D

Thanks for all the good information.

I use short fins and always like to have floating option as I find it makes snorkeling much more enjoyable - better to have a not need it.

When I ordered my water weights the set came with a float belt which is perfect for deep end of pool and snorkeling.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

S
S
They are so inexpensive around $30 for a really good one at a dive shop that I would consider buying one and taking it with me. We each have one and they are worth every cent. We have the kind that has a dry bag on the back so we can put money and important stuff in it and it stays dry. They deflate to the size of a standard t-shirt and take up almost no space in your suitcase.

Originally Posted by WAtraveler
They don't have them to rent at the hotels for snorkeling off of the pier, do they?

Don't really plan on snorkeling off the dock. The water is generally shallow, too much seagrass, and too much boat traffic. Some docks have a small roped off area at the end, but not really worth it if you want to see fish. You can see just about as much standing on the dock.

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
Snorkeling off a few piers can be enjoyable like at Ramon's and Caribe Island. For young ones and old ones that have not snorkeled in years, or hey you just want to check you gear, enjoy!

Ramon's has a ladder at the end of their pier for access (ok, it can still be a challenge, but I'm old and overweight). My wife and I snorkeled there several times last trip and saw 100's of fish directly under the pier including 10 or so different species. Also, as Peter Jones has said, the turtle grass can hold small treasures (sea horses). Don't wander far from the pier and keep an "ear" out for boats. I would really like to try at Wet Willies, but a lot of boat traffic.

Hey get wet and see what is there and get ready for Ho Chan, Shark & Sting Ray Alley, Mexico Rocks!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.