Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#328710 03/16/09 11:46 PM
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Baby burned in fire; house destroyed

[Linked Image] A six month old baby was flown to the Belize City Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital early this afternoon from La Isla Bonita following a fire on the island. The baby sustained various burns to the head and hands and is in a stable condition. Shortly after three this afternoon, two wooden houses belonging to Gonzalo Lara in the highly populated residential area of San Pedrito caught fire and were completely destroyed. Grace Westby and her newborn baby were in one of the houses and managed to escape the flames before the building was gutted. The fire department contained the blaze before it destroyed a third adjacent building. Investigating Officer, Sergeant Leslie Wade told News Five that the houses were clustered in one yard.

Sgt. Leslie Wade, Investigating Officer

"At approximately three-twenty-five p.m. this afternoon, police received information of a fire in the San Pedrito Area. We responded to that fire where we observed two board buildings that were almost completely destroyed by fire. The Fire Department arrived there and finally put out the fire. These two buildings were completely destroyed, meaning burnt to ground. They were owned by Mr. Gonzalo Lara. At the time in the building was a mother by the name of Ms. Grace Westby. She had a young child, six months, who received burns to her hand and head. She has since been transported to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital for further medical attention."

Duane Moody
"To my understanding, there was a third house that was getting burnt as well but it was contained, but were they all in one yard, one given yard?"

Sgt. Leslie Wade
"Yeah, well if you know the San Pedrito Area, these houses are very close together, but however the one that was about to catch fire, so the Fire Department managed to contain the fire and put it out. So, only two houses were destroyed."

Duane Moody
"Who all lived in these houses?"

Sgt. Leslie Wade
"In these houses, various tenants who at the time were not at home."

Duane Moody
"It's like an apartment complex or so?"

Sgt. Leslie Wade
"It's an upstairs and downstairs apartment that is being rented by owner Mr. Lara."

Up to news time, the cause of the fire is still unconfirmed.

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=23532

Live and let live
N
N
OH my, I hope their going to be OK. Poor baby.

It's always sad to see someone loose their home and it's contents. Thank God most were not home at the time and the mother and child that were home were able to escape the flames. Praying for rapid recovery for the child and consolation for the rest of those displaced by the fire.

It's great to be .....

Been spending some time with "Reds" today and the good news is that the infant child was not burned "badly", although the child took in a lot of smoke fumes. "Reds" has been employed by the San Pedro Lions for many years...and the Lions will be meeting Thursday night to plan a fundraiser for the Lara family. Two homes have been destroyed, so plenty of help needed. Will pass along any news from the Lions after the meeting. A bank account has been opened for the family of Gonzolo Lara at the Belize Bank.

Gone fishing!!
N
N
Bill, I'm not sure when we are comming down to SP again. Soon but not soon enough to be very helpful to this family. If you can find someone headed down that way I'll send them a check and they can cash it and give it to you to donate. If that's ok?

oh my! I was right there watching the fire and had no idea that a baby was burned. I pray that the baby is going to be alright and prayers for the Lara family.

S
S
The San Pedro Town Council cordially requests the support of the public in assisting the Lara family, who lost all their belongings in a fire that destroyed the family house on March 16th. Donations in kind/money may be dropped off at the office of the San Pedro Town Council during normal working hours.

Eiden Salazar (Senator and owner of Reef Radio - he's the one on in the mornings with David) was coming out of Manelly's as I was going in after dinner tonight. He asked me if I would post the bank account number where donations can be sent to. Of course I said yes. He will e-mail me the information tomorrow and I will post it here.
If anyone else gets the information before me please don't wait for me; go ahead and post it.
Reds has done so much for so many it is time for us to take care of him and his.

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 03/17/09 08:26 PM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
No comment; this speaks for itself...

Originally Posted by Channel5Belize
Toddler injured in San Pedro fire now in stable condition

[Linked Image] And in an update to a fire on Monday at La Isla Bonita, six month old Tiarra Shantia Lara who received third degree burns to her head and hands is said to be in stable condition and still undergoing treatment at the K.H.M.H. The fire broke around three-thirty Monday afternoon in San Pedrito Area of Ambergris Caye, two wooden homes totally destroyed and the origin of the fire has still not been determined. The child and mother, Grace Westby, were the only ones at home when the fire started.

In San Ignacio, however, Giovanni Garcia is reporting that his four year old son set a couch on fire. The thirty-two year old father told police that he fell asleep and was awaken by the smell of smoke on Monday. Garcia found the couch on fire and managed to extinguish it by the time the fire fighters arrived. The four year old child apparently ignited the fire with a lighter.

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=23557

Originally Posted by 7 News Belize
Prognosis for Burn Girl Encouraging

[Linked Image] Last night we told you about the infant fire victim in San Pedro who police have identified as Tiarra Shantia Lara. Well she has been transferred to the KHMH where she is reported in a stable condition and her prognosis is encouraging. The infant received burns to her hand and head. The child was one of three in the upstairs of a home that caught on fire yesterday afternoon.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=13585

Live and let live
Nancy: Will be leaving back to the US on April 9th...it would be best to send check directly to Belize Bank. Address and bank account to follow. Bill

Gone fishing!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.