Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#329013 03/18/09 02:37 PM
T
OP Offline
T
After living in San Pedro for several years now I have come to expect certain things. Things that I think would really make a difference here but, are unlikely to change anytime soon. These issues have been identified as some of the only negative aspects of either living or visiting here. The following is my list which I feel is very short:

Too Many Cars and or vehicles on the street with seemingly no end in sight. Anyone can bring any vehicle they want to this island and it is someday going to result in a catastrophe.

Trash. There is not enough care placed on the issue of garbage. You can always find some litter on the streets and a good portion of it is falling off trucks or out of overfilled trash cans that seem to never be empty.

Traffic on the beach. It just seems wrong for motorcycles to drive along the same beach on which people are trying to relax and even more disturbing are the taxis and other vehicles that drive along the beach in town.

Overall this is a rather short list but I really have not seen much improvement in any of these areas over the years and frankly in some instances things have gotten worse. This should be easy since these basic topics are the ones most often brought up by visitors.

S
S
Carnaval painting...

I saw a great pet peeves list on the BelizeWatch Blog.

Belize Watch

Young Belizeans speaking out on issues in Belize.

Friday, March 13, 2009
Fed Up
I am fed up with

1) People who don't fess up and leave a note on your windshield when they graze your vehicle while they park. They choose to ding and dash. Happened twice in a month to me....cost me $250 and $300 to get fixed. Come on folks, be honest that you can't drive. I won't get upset, just pay the Peachy piper to take that dent out

2) St. Catherine's Academy and their asinine policy of not providing toilet paper for their students. Yes, the students have to bring their own. For a private school with good funding this is unacceptable. Look if you are that short of cash, charge everyone a $10 toilet fee and be done with it. And we won't even get into the nuns "examining the trash" checking for tampons thinking that if a girl using a tampon she is not a virgin. Read the medical label sista!.... read more

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

SP Daily #329017 03/18/09 02:53 PM
B
B
The speed with which the souped up golf carts, motorcycles, cars, taxis, and trucks drive on the already crowded roads. If the Town Board could find a way to get a radar gun and enforce existing speed limits with a fine for those driving too fast there would be a surplus in the treasury. Someone is going to get hurt or killed if something is not done to control the over abundance of speed freaks on the island. Whatever happened to island time? I guess it only applies until someone gets behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle.

Having just been there for an extended stay, I was struck more than ever before by the extremely poor air quality due to the gas carts. The "go green" folks should be on this as issue number one. The solution, electric carts, solves 2 problems at the same time: no exhaust pollution, and they are a lot slower.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
collyk #329022 03/18/09 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by collyk
I saw a great pet peeves list on the BelizeWatch Blog.

Belize Watch

Young Belizeans speaking out on issues in Belize.

Friday, March 13, 2009
Fed Up
I am fed up with

1) People who don't fess up and leave a note on your windshield when they graze your vehicle while they park. They choose to ding and dash. Happened twice in a month to me....cost me $250 and $300 to get fixed. Come on folks, be honest that you can't drive. I won't get upset, just pay the Peachy piper to take that dent out

2) St. Catherine's Academy and their asinine policy of not providing toilet paper for their students. Yes, the students have to bring their own. For a private school with good funding this is unacceptable. Look if you are that short of cash, charge everyone a $10 toilet fee and be done with it. And we won't even get into the nuns "examining the trash" checking for tampons thinking that if a girl using a tampon she is not a virgin. Read the medical label sista!.... read more

The one about the toilet paper makes me smile. My eldest attended St. Catherine and earned herself the name "Pink" because she would bring pink toilet paper to school. Since everybody else brought white she always knew if somebody had nicked her roll!

P
P
It's a puzzle to me that so many people have cars, including people I know well. There really is no need for them. To be honest, for those people living within say 1 mile of town there's little need for any permanently-available transport beyond a bicycle. Taxis and trucks are so readily available when needed.

So then , its safe to say that living in the northern suburbs may have some advantages with respect to peace and quiet.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
champion #329058 03/18/09 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by champion
So then , its safe to say that living in the northern suburbs may have some advantages with respect to peace and quiet.

Suburbs? laugh Good one. I've never heard of north of the bridge being referred to as the northern suburbs. If I close my eyes, I can almost hear the traffic helicopter. As for peace and quiet, are you forgetting about the recent drug-related murders?

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
N
N
There is more noise on the street where I live here in TX than in downtown SP other than on Carnival.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 322 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.