Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
She needs blood donations so if anyone is able to donate blood for her, it is a desperate medical situation and she needs multiple transfusions.

The Central Blood Bank blood donation team WILL be here Monday, ready to go at 10 am. They will be at an office at Fairdale Plaza number 5 (right across from Island Academy ). They are confirmed and will be there. Pam picks them up from a 9 am flight and they have 1/2 hour to set up.

If you are in Belize City, please call Medical Partners of Belize and say that you would like to donate blood for Annie Rivero. Or go to the central blood bank in Belize City. It is right next to Karl Heusner. Tell them you are giving it in Annie Rivero's name who is at Belize health Care Partners.and she will get the credit.

THIS IS SERIOUS FOLKS. TIME FOR US ALL TO STEP UP.

How many zillions of times have Julian and Annie helped us all. We gotta give back.

They are coming out here to collect. If you can't give blood grab someone who can and come on down..

I ain't askin' I'm beggin'....

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Her type is A positive but if you give blood of any type, the blood bank will give her a bag of A positive and hold the donated blood that is not her type for another patient. In essence, she gets credit for it.

This is what is so awesome about this community. I know San Pedro residents and regular visitors will step up. Wish I was there.

God speed and blessings to all that give!

It's great to be .....

so just show up at 10am Monday if in San Pedro ?

If we give Peas a chance won't the Lima Beans feel left out ?
Yes, and if the venue has changed for some reason a sign will be posted with the new info. I picked up 12 volunteers last night!!

I will see if Pam can get a bit of a schedule running to arrange for volunteers to come in throughout the day to avoid snarls.

JZB Offline
I have a couple questions. I have never given blood before (other than a sample). What do I need to do to prepare to give blood? Avoid alcohol for xx hours, don't exercise before I go, etc. Will I also need to know what my blood type is? (I can never remember)

They test your blood to type it. As you said most people don't remember so they won't take your word for it!

I'll go on line and see what I can find out.

Okay - the American Red Cross says:

Get Ready to Donate Blood

Step1
Prepare by wearing short sleeves or long sleeves that you can roll up. You will give blood through a vein in your arm. Relax as you give a pint of blood, which should only take about 10 minutes. When you give blood through the American Red Cross, the whole process should take no more than an hour.

Step2
Get a good night's sleep the night before you give blood.

Step3
Prepare to donate blood by eating a healthy breakfast complete with iron-rich foods on the day you give it. Avoid eating fatty foods, however, because fat can affect the testing that is done on blood. If it can't be tested, it is disposed of.

Step4
Bring an ID with you to the blood drive. Answer questions honestly on any forms you fill out or to any volunteers with whom you speak. If you are not eligible to donate, let them know--your information is confidential.

Step5
Drink plenty of liquids before and after you donate. They will help your body replenish the blood you are giving. However, the American Red Cross advises you not to drink caffeinated beverages such as coffee or tea.

Step6
Remember the names of any medications you are taking and have a general idea of your health history. The American Red Cross will ask you questions about it and give you a mini-physical exam before you donate blood.

Step7
Locate a blood drive near you. Visit the American Red Cross Give Life page and enter your ZIP code (see Resources below). You may also call 1-800-448-3543.

Relax After You Donate

Step1

Avoid strenuous activity or heavy lifting for at least five hours after you give blood.

Step2

Eat and drink refreshments in the designated area at the blood drive. There are usually cookies and juice available while you wait for your body to adjust to having less blood.

Step3

Leave after a few minutes when your vein has stopped bleeding and you have enjoyed your refreshments. You can donate again in 56 days.

Obviously take into account we are in Belize. There will likely be a questionnaire, but I don't know about a physical. As far as I understand the blood technicians will be there, but I don't believe a physician will be on hand.

There will be juice and cookies. Just take a seat and wait until you are ready to head off back to work or home. People often feel a little light headed for abut 15 mins or so after giving blood.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
We are trying to get Dr. Lerida Rodriguez to drop by and to be on call. She is aware and I believe will be helping to an extent still to be determined. But we will be able to call on her if needed.

L
L
Marty, R.B. and I are planning to go up to donate blood. R.B. said he would be available to spell Dr. Lerida or be available as well. Let us know if you might need him. Judy

R.B. Mernitz
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.