Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#331199 04/02/09 03:19 PM
S
OP Offline
S
We are thinking of vacationing in Belize and staying on Ambergris Caye. We are big water and beach fans, so I read something that gave me concern and I wanted to ask about it. I noticed on the lodging page of this site that it stated that accommodations with pools were nice to have "with ocean swimming not always convenient". I have also noticed several pictures that have a lot of sea grass. Is this common around the island? Is it difficult to swim right off of shore? Would Caye Caulker be any better? Thank you for your input.

Last edited by scottngalveston; 04/02/09 03:19 PM.
Scott - the beaches are not walk in like Galveston, but swimming at the end of piers (many resorts have them) is good. There is some swimming at the cut, North of town. The beaches are really nice, but there is sea grass in most areas. Also not the wave action of Galveston, much calmer since the reef breaks it up before it makes it to shore.

We have a place in Crystal Beach and the beaches on AC are not the same. But, the water, oh the water is soooo nice in AC. Good viz, lots of marine life and the view of the reef!

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
I really don't understand people's reluctance to swim over sea grass. It does not grow to the surface. The sea grass beds are fun places to snorkel and they are full of juvenile life.
Sea grass grows in the sand so it is OK to stand up in it. It is not slimy either. Just look down before you put you foot down as there may be a critter under you - like a baby sting ray - these are darling or conch.
The reason docks are so popular for snorkelers is that many fish tend to live under them and it is more interesting than the grass beds.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
i've always been a big beach goer myself and had these same concerns before visiting AC. we opted to stay near town in a place with a great pool (paradise villas). the beach is not great in the traditional sense (in my mind long, beautiful stretches of white sand with waves rolling into shore), but i found i didn't miss that. AC is a beautiful place that offers a unique experience. there is sea grass near the shore, the waves break on the reef so it tends to be very calm at the shoreline but i loved the difference and was so caught up in the rest of the island that we wouldn't have changed a thing (having said that, we did head to the clearwater beach, fl. area for two weeks after returning home for my beach fix!). there are piers to swim and snorkel from and more dining/drinking/enjoying the outdoors places than you'll be able to get to during your stay. it's delightful - and at some point every day i have the opportunity to wish i were back there.

p.s. when you go, be sure to have the pepper-lime wings at playa. smile

human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted
S
S
Scott, we have traveled a bit in the Caribbean and Mexico and been looking for the perfect place to buy for literally decades. We are definitely ocean/beach people who also like to snorkle and dive.

We settled on AC for the following reasons:In my opinion, NO WHERE, AND I MEAN NO WHERE, in the Caribbean/Mexico, is the water so warm and delightful to swim in year round and are there so many fish.

On my one snorkeling trip to Hol Chan I saw more on that one trip than several dive trips in the Caribbean combined. Also, there is very little risk of bad undertow, etc. because of the reef. The water is very clean and clear.

The island has many different kinds of beaches. It would be fun to explore them all, which I haven't had a chance to do. Yes, there is sea grass which provides for fantastic snorkeling because there is a lot of life in sea grass. The water is definitely not solid sea grass. It's fun to snorkel around and over to be honest. It's clean and natural.

Each time I am on a beach on AC, I always find some really cool little crab or different kind of fish.

In addition to the beautiful water AC has fantastic restaurants, very fun bars, great shopping and just a blast to explore. If you go to Taco Girl's blog, I think she may still have some gorgeous west side beach shots which will show no sea grass at all. I don't know for sure that those pix are still posted somewhere or not. It's a different look at different parts of the island. It's all beautiful.

Sally1 #331224 04/02/09 04:57 PM
Stop!, don't go!, it's a waste of money. Horrible place, bad food, bad people, bad beaches, bad beer most of all. Sniker sniker!

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Ok, who's being an "old rattle snake" now? Trying to scare people off, are we? wink
Heck no he's just kidding!!!!!1 laugh

Come on down. You will never regret it!!!! Or your money back! grin

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob #331253 04/02/09 09:02 PM
And if you stay and swim in town, watch out for boats.

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
Sally1 #331256 04/02/09 09:41 PM
Sally - you are soooo right. I have been diving since 1978. My wife got certified in 2007 and we dove in the US Virgins off a sailboat we chartered for just the two of us. After the 2nd dive off AC I looked at my wife and told her "your so lucky". It is the best diving I have ever done, anywhere, period, and I have dove in lots of places.

The beaches can be snorkeled. Harriett - I agree there is nothing wrong with the beaches or shore swimming, it's just I do not prefer to "swim". I prefer to dive and after 2-3 tanks a day my sorry a$$ is wore out. (plus it is time to consume and I don't do drinking and water)

Scott, at Crystal Beach we like to go in to our shoulders and "sit in the waves" and feel the motion. You are not going to get that in AC, it's BETTER!!! You can work your way around the sea grass and see lots of stuff, but you are not going to get that wave action. The sand is way better than Gulf sand, plus no Man-O-Wars or seaweed and you can see your feet on the bottom!!!

Go, You will love it. It is the only place we have ever gone back to in less than a year and we will go there as long as it does not get too commercial. Have fun, talk to everybody, get off the beaten path. It is paradise.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
2Aggies #331282 04/03/09 08:23 AM
S
OP Offline
S
everyone, thanks for your comments.... we have traveled all over the caribbean (St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix, Totolla, Virgin Gorda, Isla Mujeres) and water is very, very important to us - swimming wise. AC and Belize sound so great because of all the awesome day trips you can take, that you really can't do any where else in the caribbean.... I think we'll give it a try and check it out. I guess the reason I am nervous is because we once took a trip to St. Croix - for two weeks, and the beaches there are very difficult to access, and they were not what you would expect from the caribbean. Four days after arriving, we were already regretting that we had chosen St. Croix... and I never want to have that happen again on another vacation - you work too hard saving money to go and it is supposed to be enjoyable, relaxing, and memorable...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.