Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#332370 04/09/09 08:40 PM
boricua Offline OP
OP Offline
is it just me or does it seem like there is runaway growth taking place on ambergris? have city planners taken into account the waste issues and maintaining the reef environment,water needs,schools,roads?

boricua #332373 04/09/09 08:51 PM
I do not live there, and have been reminded of that when voicing an opinion . . . but I believe there is the normal tension between those (resident and visitor) who love AC for what it has been and those (resident and visitor) who see what it might be. The visions are both valid and not necessarily incompatible. Throw $$ into the equation and the mix gets murkier. The island is going to change . . but it will only support so much. I hope those with memories and those with dreams will figure out where that line is, so both can live together in this wonderful place.

Last edited by KC Jayhawk; 04/09/09 08:52 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
KC - I fall into that "don't live there" situation. Here's my opinion. The build and they will come attitude is what has RUINED so many great little places. What many of the locals do not realize is that along with the $$$ comes a myriad of other problems. Crime, waste, over-crowding, and worst of all, the loss of the intimacy of a laid back island and the interaction between residents and "guests". It is too late when it has happened. And as we have been forced to do before, we will move on to the next discovered dream place. The local population is then left with tourism snobs, people who do not love the reef and the island and treat it with respect. It becomes about the $$.
Unless the occupancy rates demand increased development it should not be supported. If it is about the jobs then let the work force build a sanitation system, waste disposal project, and improve the existing infra-structure so it sustains the current demand.
Sadly, if the above are improved and developed, more developments will spring up. Catch 22.
I wish the people who have been living there since the days of fishing village charm realize they are being "paved, polluted, & prostituted to the point of no return.
Damn Rum - makes me speak my mind.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
2Aggies #332389 04/09/09 09:25 PM
T
T
believe this, those "old timers" already know, and i have heard their feelings expressed long ago.

TIMO #332397 04/09/09 10:05 PM
P
P
The "locals" are not idiots. They know that development is out of control. If you come to the "Sustainable Development Group" meetings, you would see that we represent all members of the community trying to protect the island from development that does not work for the long term. There are merchants, politicians, environmentalists, tour guides, builders, housewives, and others Now the real estate agents ( some of whom are my friends) are unrepresented but hopefully that will change. There are a lot of people trying to stay ahead of the rampant growth using many strategies. Most of these strategies are well thought out but it is hard because it is like fighting an amoeba, no sooner do you have a plan, than the more aggressive developers find a way around it. So we simply keep the battle going, winning some and losing some. But i think most agree that South Beach is one we can not afford to lose. So join up and give money for legal fees.

pamkillen #332413 04/10/09 07:51 AM
the 'you don't live here' concept, doesn't hold water. while they may not actulay live 'here', what they do have is real experience of watching this go on somewhere else and are only trying to pass along what everybody already knows is going to happen.
to answer the OP's question,, NO,, the planners HAVE NOT taken all that into account.
well,, i believe the 'planners' have 'planned' something, but the GOB has not accepted it,, or some shit.
it is a disaster going to happen.
imho

Barnacle #332447 04/10/09 09:53 AM
Well said Pam. Things are changing - at all levels. Everyone on this message board who has expressed a love for the island should become a member of ACCSD. Numbers do count and dollars do help. Although membership is free donations are needed.

The community is realizing that they have to take back control of their livelihood.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Barnacle #332448 04/10/09 09:55 AM
T
t42 Offline
T
It isn't going there, it is there.

Barnacle #332449 04/10/09 09:55 AM
P
P
Please remember that there was a done deal with a Korean developer on a northern part of the island. The "locals" took to the street and it was stopped. It ain't over until it is over. IF it happens, I agree , it is disaster. But there are a lot of people working hard to stop it. Again, get involved by attending meetings and being heard and donating money for legal fees. This will most probably end up in court.

pamkillen #332453 04/10/09 10:10 AM
S
S
I am scratching my head on this - where will the buyers come from? There are literal "ghost towns" in the US (Atlanta is a good example) - brand new "beautiful/ lavish" subdivisions in various degrees of completion. The early / pre-development buyers have gotten stuck with building site eyesore and unequal share of maintenance costs, so many just walk away. Scary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 241 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.