Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
My first trip to Belize is a few days away (so happy!) but I'm starting to become concerned about the safety of my items after reading of people being robbed.

The only valuable items I plan to bring are an ipod, camera and some cash.

Should I just take all of my valuables with me when I leave my room?

You are coming to a lovely, friendly and beautiful place for your vacation. Don't worry - as in fact, good planning means less worries. It really depends on the quality of your accommodation as to whether you'll feel comfortable leaving your valuables in your room. It is no different from traveling anywhere else. Most places will offer a room safe or some sort of secure care for your belongings if you ask. Without meaning to be disrespectful to those whom this generalisation does not apply, most tourists who have valuables stolen have done so because they didn't take normal and sensible precautions with their belongings. You're coming to a place which is pretty close to paradise, but nowhere is perfect. Just be sensible and take any normal precautions you would take when visiting any new and unfamiliar place. But more than anything else. Have a great time!

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

S
S
I bring my ipod my cheap camera and cell phone my husband brings lots of expensive fishing gear. DONT LEAVE IT OUTSIDE UNATTENDED and you will be fine. We mostly stay at Banana beach and have not locked up anything but money and passports and (knock on wood) have not had a problem. I have heard of many people leaving stuff laying around on in a bag and it walks away - so just dont be silly or forgetful.

We stayed at Banana Beach for half of our last trip in March and they had a security guard around throughout the night and the hotel next door had one too.

You are in a third world country!...............you have no reliable security ...........use common sense....TAKE NO UNNECESSARY RISKS!...........and you will have no negative expensive incidents and an awesome fun time!...............real simple!

Relax smile

M
M
I go to Caye Caulker. My wife and I leave watches and jewlery at home. Never have had a problem, never have even really felt threatened. We don't flash money or valuables around, don't get stupid drunk, and in general don't make ourselves a target. Keep your valuables in a motel safe or in your pocket, and don't leave stuff lying around unattended.....

I feel safer in Belize - Caye Caulker anyway, than I do walking across a WalMart parking lot at home.

I worry more about a airplane crash when coming down than thievery at this point. As RathaBnBelize says relax and have fun.

I have had items stolen on the Island.
(good thing my stuff is of little value)

The nice thing about A/C is that people here are not all that impressed by "luxury items", so there is no need to bring them.
Very casual here, so leave the Rolex at home, and it's one less worry.

If you rent a golf car, NEVER leave anything in it; and always lock it up.

Petty crime is VERY common Here.
They are mostly "crimes of opportunity" - so try not to give anyone an "opportunity".

A Hotel security guard can not be everyplace at once, and if you come home late, you may find him napping in your golf cart!
So use your good travel-judgement.

Take extra care on the mainland, There is more crime there.

Have Fun!

N
N
We stayed at Ruby's and when we were going to be gone for a while took extra cash, some jewelery, passports and left it in the office. We left cameras and other simi valuable things and some money in the room. Not one penny or item went missing. Maria Elaina was our maid but from what I heard from other guest there is nothing to worry about from any of the maids. They DO say be sure to lock the doors and windows even if your in the shower and of course at night. It is not unheard of to have item stolen off the balconies or from the rooms if common sense is not used.

Originally Posted by MagChick
Bringing Valuable Items-Will I be robbed?
Well, we hadn't put you on the calendar yet, but when you can provide us with your full name, date of stay and location where you will be staying, we can certainly arrange a custom made robbery for you. Please email me back when you want specific items stolen, want your purse and passports delivered back afterwards (we call that the Caye Caulker method) or if you would prefer a package (I can send a menu with optoins).
Kind Regards,
Short (Robbery)

Live and let live
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.