Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: lakegirl] #332849
04/13/09 06:52 PM
04/13/09 06:52 PM
Ambergris caye
S
SnoopysMom Offline
SnoopysMom  Offline
S
Totally agree with you on this one, Lakegirl, but not really much can be done about it. Hopefully this special canine will not partake of any laced goodies put out for dog control in the future.

Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: SnoopysMom] #332863
04/13/09 10:54 PM
04/13/09 10:54 PM
San Pedro via Seattle
B
Big Mike Offline
Big Mike  Offline
B
I've known this dog for years and it has never been "starving" or "skinny." Personally, I'm glad the dognapper gave her back. This is truly one happy island dog.

Last edited by Big Mike; 04/14/09 03:38 AM.
Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: Big Mike] #332875
04/14/09 08:25 AM
04/14/09 08:25 AM
Ambergris caye
S
SnoopysMom Offline
SnoopysMom  Offline
S
frown

Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: SnoopysMom] #332893
04/14/09 09:44 AM
04/14/09 09:44 AM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
Pot Lickers own people - not the other way around.
How many of you know Muttley? He lives where he wants to for as long as he wants.
I "own" three dogs here on the island; one actually lives with me! LOL
I had not owned a dog for over 30 years as I just couldn't stand to see one kept in all day. I feel that dogs need to run. I love the dog style life here and every once in awhile you will see me with all three of my dogs running ahead of the golf cart on the road up north.
Dog ownership here requires letting go with love.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: ScubaLdy] #332900
04/14/09 11:17 AM
04/14/09 11:17 AM
skippy Offline
skippy  Offline
I thought of this thread last week when I was watching them run around. They are quite happy living life like they do. People should leave them alone, not get into pissing matches over ownership. And although we like to be kind and feed them, it probably contributes to the problems of overpopulation as well as perceived "ownership", so I avoid it. They don't seem to want to be petted either, which enhances my belief that they are cool being free spirits. I consider them residents, I leave them alone and they return the favor.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: skippy] #332906
04/14/09 12:00 PM
04/14/09 12:00 PM
Ambergris caye
S
SnoopysMom Offline
SnoopysMom  Offline
S
Just let dogs roam around and find their own food (never mind their medical needs)... now that's responsible!

Oh, and you probably think that dogs are just domesticated/ watered down wolves, right?

Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: skippy] #332909
04/14/09 12:06 PM
04/14/09 12:06 PM
C
canukgirl Offline
canukgirl  Offline
C
hmm, I guess it's time the "dognapper" responds, huh Big Mike?
I mean, I must be the absolute worst at dog napping, since I posted a picture, asked if anyone owned the dog, etc. and didn't even ask for a ransom! Even the person working at Conch Shell told me to take the dog!!!!! I went to the vet with Playa the next day and asked the vet about the dog. She told me no one takes care of the dog and that it would be wonderful if we adopt her. Although I MADE SURE she had my number in case anyone came into SAGA looking for her.(Her real name is Tammy by the way, but she is now registered as Playa at SAGA. If you would like her papers, i could give them to you) Also, Big Mike, if you don't recall, this was the time that they were going to start poisoning the dogs....I wanted to help at least by getting one dog off the street. I spent $350 on that dog! Getting her shots, heart worm pills (which she is 3 days late for this month's pill), toys, food, treats, etc.

Anyways, she stayed with us for a month. I didn't tie her up or anything. She ran away once, and when i went into town she found me, jumped on the cart and came home with me again. The last time she jumped off the cart and went to the beach. I decided to leave her, as I know they are not doing their poisonings now, thank god, and I know that she loves to run and be free. She is a pot licker. We took a chance, and decided that at least we could help one dog by getting her shots, and if she ran back to the beach, she ran back to the beach. But at least we were trying to help her.

So, if you would like to keep calling me a dognapper, even though the vet told me no one owned her, even though I got her all her shots, which the vet told me she had not been in for OVER 2 years, then fine. But I'd like you to know that I tried to help, not hinder and for you to try to make me and my husband feel like a piece of sh1t for only doing what we thought was needed, and was cheered on by many of the people on this board, just breaks my heart, really.

Of course, I have learned that these dogs do like to run free. But even if they do like to run free, put a collar on your dog, get it's shots, and spay or neuter your dog. If there was a collar and a record of shots for the poor dog, i never would have taken her........and then I wouldn't be called a dog napper, and I wouldn't have a broken heart. Playa is a wonderful, sweet, loving dog, that DOES like to be scratched, that DOES like to play with toys, and that DOES like to lick your ear. She isn't just a beach dog looking for food, she is a social diva!

So, to all of you message boarders, remember when you are putting your opinion on this board, it does affect 2 canuks, who only tried to love a "playa" dog.

And my biggest worry - Are her owners going to start paying for her rabies, distemper, adenovirus, parainfluenza, parvovirus shots, etc next year March '10? Who is giving her the heart worm pills that all dogs need on the island? Is anyone giving her flea meds so that she can sleep peacefully at night on the sand? I love her.....sue me. If taking her made her owners love her more and feel a need to take responsibility for her, than I'm glad we did it. Otherwise - they don't even care enough about her to make sure she is healthy.....

Last edited by canukgirl; 04/14/09 12:29 PM.
Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: canukgirl] #332911
04/14/09 12:16 PM
04/14/09 12:16 PM
San Pedro
C
Canukboi Offline OP
Canukboi  Offline OP
C
Ditto what my beautiful wife said.

I can't believe that some people on here would make her heart hurt like they did. She is the most loving person in the world, especially to animals. Some people could really learn from her....Shame on you!

Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: canukgirl] #332913
04/14/09 12:19 PM
04/14/09 12:19 PM
Kansas City MO
KC Jayhawk Offline
KC Jayhawk  Offline
Canukgirl, you did the right thing at every step along the way. Your only thought was for the best interest of the dog. I wouldn't let an ignorant comment by someone with nothing invested in the situation get you down. It's ironic that someone with a board name like that can be so "small".

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
Re: Does this dog belong to anyone? [Re: KC Jayhawk] #332914
04/14/09 12:22 PM
04/14/09 12:22 PM
C
canukgirl Offline
canukgirl  Offline
C
Thanks KC, I miss Playa a lot.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
August
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 172 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics71,926
Posts482,308
Members19,687
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.