Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#333383 04/16/09 10:37 AM
OP Offline
I am looking to open a bank account while I'm there in May and apparently need 2 bank references to do so as I'm currently a non resident. Can anyone tell me the information they need on the reference? When I asked for a reference at my bank I was received with blank stares and confusion.

E
E
ds, something like this, it worked for me.

Our banking relationship with (fill in the blank) has been very satisfactory. Accounts include checking, savings, money market etc,etc.

signed by an officer

Ernie B #333390 04/16/09 11:00 AM
OP Offline
thanks

Also, if you are married, both names have to appear on the letters of reference. They need to show a standing of good record for a year. You will need two different bank references. A copy of your SSN is also requested. I just opened one in Feb and did not include the wifes name on the letters. Ergo, shes not on the account as of now.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
P
P
I don't see how the SSN can be required as it only exists in the USA. I've opened several bank accounts in Belize and wasn't asked any such questions.

Peter, I have not had a ssn card for years and had to get one before I went down. They in fact asked me for it and made a copy. This was not even an off-shore account I opened. Its just a Belize account. I think is has to do with the 9-11 stuff.

Last edited by champion; 04/16/09 06:48 PM.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Just the letters from the bank saying you are in good standings. I have never used my SSN on anything in BZ.

T
T
The letter should be on original bank letter head (not a copy) It should state your name as well as the date on which your account was opened and that the account is in good standing. That is all you need for any bank here. The second reference can be a character reference in most cases. Doctor, Lawyer, etc. The letter should state the length of time the person has known you and that you are a fine and upstanding person. Again the letters should be originals and written on letter head.

M
M
deadserious,

When I opened an account several years ago, Atlantic Bank & Barclays wanted 2 bank references. Scotiabank wanted only one. Two weeks ago, a friend who had been in Belize less than a week, opened an account at a credit union with no references from other banks.

J
J
When we opened an account at Belize Bank a couple years ago, we had two letter from the same bank, but for different accounts.

They didn't ask for our social security numbers, just passport numbers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.