Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
OP Offline
C
I was planning a diving and fishing trip with friends but the frequent mention of no-see ums on all the travel sites have compelled my friends to just say no.... They're talking about Little Cayman now.

My friends are pretty bug bite sensitive -- they swell up and get kinda sick and then they have scars for yrs. Seriously, i still see mosquito bites scars on them from Jamaica 3 yrs ago.

In Cozumel, sand fleas were easy to avoid by just not going out at dusk -- i didn't get a single bite in June or Dec. Are they as bad as everyone says -- and why is it worse in Belize vs other Caribb destinations?

I'm pretty bummed as the diving/fishing combo possibilities in Belize seems to be unmatched....

For one thing, sand flies and sand fleas are two different things.

Personally, I've never been much bothered by sand flies on most of Ambergris Caye, though they can be fierce in some parts of Belize, such as Hopkins and on some remote cayes. They're usually worse after rains and at dawn and dusk.

There are sandflies in the Caymans, by the way. At times, lots of them, including on Little Cayman. I understand they became worse after Hurricane Ivan in 2004, but maybe they've backed off now.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
the morning after hurricane iris blew thru here, we were greeted by what?,, sand flies!
we had 130+ winds blow thru here with a water stain 3 1/2 feet up on my buildings. and they were right there when the sun came up!?!?
so,, not being able to see these little buggers hunkered down hanging onto twigs and stuff, we determined that all our sand flies were blown over to Guatemala,, and these new ones rode the winds over from jamacia!
illeagel immigrants?

edit: by the way,, i killed the last one just a day ago.

Last edited by Barnacle; 04/21/09 05:58 PM. Reason: death toll update
On, my first trip to belize in late October 2005 (was married during Hurricane Wilma), I got bit pretty good up and down my legs. Though, the past several times I've gone have been in spring and I don't think I was bit once.

If I had to guess, it was either the rain from the Hurricane that brought them in or fall is worse than spring. But either way, the biting bugs on Ambergris Caye are no worse than Cayman or any other Caribbean island for that matter.

I always bring mosquito repellent but find myself rarely putting it on.

Originally Posted by chidiver
In Cozumel, sand fleas were easy to avoid by just not going out at dusk -- i didn't get a single bite in June or Dec. Are they as bad as everyone says -- and why is it worse in Belize vs other Caribb destinations?

And to answer this, if you avoid dusk on AC as well, you should be fine. That's when I got the worst of it on my first trip.

I've been to AC 3 times within the last year (March, November and February) and I have never been bitten by sand fleas or flys. I'm up a dawn walking the beach and at sunset I'll be walking the beach again to my favorite bars! Your frineds will find bugs in every tropical country. Come on down when you can!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Ridiculous. Five visits, no bites, finally saw the lone mosquito last trip. Let him live, to warn the others.

What's the point of the thread? Want to be begged to come here? Want us to refute some "travel sites" that your "friends" read? Or just want to cast aspersions in lieu of having the facts? Divers aren't going to cancel a dive trip to Turneffe and Lighthouse because of some bugs in San Pedro.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
sand flies and mosquitoes were around today - went into a screened porch - problem resolved! sun-up and sun-down are the worst.

In five trips down, we have only encountered sand flies once . .at Matagrande at dusk. A little oil and they were not a problem. Have never had an issue with sand fleas and skeeters only on the lagoon side and only at dusk. To me, anyway, silly reason not to visit!! Ah well, hope they have a bug-free trip wherever they go (good luck with that)!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
Y
Y
we just got back.there was 7 of us and not one bite from anything.we went south and north and did not break out the bug spray one time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.