Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"Like it used to be" - gas carts are a relatively new thing on the island. For many years all the carts were electric. I agree about the noise from the gas monsters - it's awful.
The motor bikes are fuel efficient but darn noisey too.
There are a few other noise monsters in air and on sea, but the carts are the most prevalent and therefore presently have the greatest negative impact.
Since these vehicles are here already I suspect we will have them here for many years to come - is there any way to fit them with mufflers that decrease the exhaust and noise?

i'm kinda surprised that they are noisy given the advancements made in 4 stroke motor design.
or are these just briggs& stratten lawnmower motors? or 2 strokes?
look at the new 4 stroke outboards for example. almost silent.
granted they do exhaust to the water, but i'm still surprised a gas cart is loud. i'm pretty sure they could be manufactured to be better, and maybe some are. just not the ones you have?
plus, if they are using those heavy lugged sand tires, those will contribute to the noise on hard terrain.
what about those yamaha 4 wheel things? are they noisy?

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell

That's why I want one of these:

http://www.x-tremescooters.com/electric_mopeds/xm-5000li/xm-5000li.html

S
S
Golf cart engines are (in general) single cylinder (inherently noisy) 4-strokes. A big issue is corrosion of mufflers and headers which contributes to the noise. I've been trying to find a supplier of stainless mufflers for Club Car with no luck. Stainless mufflers are available for EZGo carts.

4 Wheelers and mules are the noisiest of them all. If I'm behind a Polaris on my motorcycle I have no idea what RPM I'm running at as I can't hear the engine or exhaust (which admittedly is not quiet.)

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Irony alert: while we are discussing this, check out the thread in the Caye Caulker forum entitled "gas carts". Sigh.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by deadserious
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell

That's why I want one of these:

http://www.x-tremescooters.com/electric_mopeds/xm-5000li/xm-5000li.html

Or how about one of these? Lots of green options

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Simon, Cholos has stainless steel Club Car mufflers. I believe someone on the mainland makes them for him......not cheap though! Last time I had my muffler changed I believe he wanted $600.00BZ for one. I opted for the regular one since we only use our cart 5-6 months out of the year. By the way, Cholos price on the regular muffler was less than what I would have to pay in the US!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S
$600BZ is a good deal when you go through one every 18 months or so at $495BZ. I'll definitely check into it when I'm due for the next one. Thanks!

Originally Posted by skippy
Irony alert: while we are discussing this, check out the thread in the Caye Caulker forum entitled "gas carts". Sigh.

For the record, I'm an environment be damned kind of guy...

For me, it's all about the noise pollution. So I'm less Green than I am ear plugged I guess... but I'll hop on your cause if it means quieter vehicles. wink

B
B
Any suggestions on the best place to purchase an electric cart on the island?
Thanks

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.