Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
OP Offline
C
Hey -- I didn't mean to offend anyone with my question. I know we all get attached to places we love but it's always good to know what conditions to prepare for so we too can also love the place. I've heard various oils added to 90% DEET is the best deterrent but haven't had to use this magical potion so i don't know if it works. http://www.peoplesguide.com/1pages/chapts/health/bugs/pennyroyal-no-see-ums.html

I get super irritated when I hear about people's concerns with crime in Jamaica -- so I know what it's like to hear unfounded paranoia about beloved destinations. But if unprepared tourists frequently run into no-see ums in Belize, I'd like to know how everyone else best avoids them and pass that info on to my friends. No big deal -- no insult -- i don't want to be begged to grace my presence on this beautiful country. I would just like to avoid lots and lots of bites -- that's all. thanks again for the helpful info about what I hope will be my next dive destination!!

G
G
Chidiver - You're exactly right! These forums are intended for people to ask for information and get appropriate responses without being made to feel like a criminal.

I've been to SP about 30 times, own a house there now as I love it so much, and I have been attacked by sand fleas on only one occasion. It was terrible I have to admit, but once I took precautions (skin so soft works for me) I haven't had a problem since. Dusk has been the only problem time for me, and only on the far south end of the island. I've never had any problems in town. I want to invite you and your friends to come to one of the most lovely locations with the absolute most friendly folks of anywhere I've ever traveled. It's one of a kind and I know you'll love it as all the rest of us do.

Let us know if you need any additional information and we'll do our best to answer you openly and honestly.

i use the skin so soft sunscreen w/bug guard...works great...comes in a spray or cream...i prefer the cream to the spray...

me too. have used it for years.

C
C
Someone mentioned there is a difference between sand fleas and sand flies. Can someone fill me in. I noticed the first time we were there in Dec of 07 they (I thought fleas but now not sure) seemed to be worse than in May of 08. We stayed in the same area 3 miles south of town both visits. We did however take an all day Beach BBQ trip up north, I think about 12 miles and there were a few more biting buggers up there but I learned the first time baby oil works great. I actually noticed more bugs on the southern beaches of Cozumel - to the point I was uncomfortable. Either way, come prepared, baby oil, skin so soft, deet and benadryl would be a great Bugger Kit to have. I think I will make one...38 more sleeps.

Live Laugh Love
P
P
Avon Skin So Soft!

C
OP Offline
C
thanks so much everyone for all the helpful tips and for your patience. I've booked tix and i'm so excited about the trip.

Will buy some skin so soft (is there only one kind/scent?) and baby oil and anything else people think will help -- and as in Cozumel, I'll avoid being out at dusk.

I
I

P
P
Just 1 kind (of skin so soft) and it is an oil so you do not need baby oil. Remember the trick with any bite or allergic reaction is that you absolutely can not touch the area at all as that causes an even greater release of histamines which makes it 10 times worse

I am a mosquito magnet and I discovered the BEST stuff (and I've tried them all!) for itch relief - I've only seen this stuff in Belize. It is sold all over the place - I don't know the exact name of it, but it is a hemp-based oil, (there is a big pot leaf on the bottle so you can't miss it) - it really works!! Someone warned me not to take it home, as they said the hemp (although there is not active THC in it) would set the dogs off, but I've brought it home twice with no problem. Depending on where you get it, it's about $US6-10 - WELL worth it!! Skin-So-Soft does work for some, but not me. I bring Deep Woods Off, but I have to say, I've been there now only twice, in Dec. and Feb., and have only had about 4 bites total. I was amazed. It was my worry also but all was OK. Good luck!!

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.