Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
How many do you want?

Inplub #334523 04/24/09 10:49 AM
While I was there in March I asked a few taxi drivers that I rode with what the fair was normally because I was also being charged $7 and sometimes $10 Bz. One taxi driver said that it depended what time of day it was. He said, during the day time they charge $7 and in the evening it was $10. Another said that it was $7 for locals and that I was probably being charged $7 sometimes because I was being confused for a local (I am dark skinned/hispanic) but the rate for tourist was $10. Another said that the rate was $10bz flat rate for all taxi's.

I would love to be able to ride on a golf cart taxi. It would be a lot more fun I think.

Andry
Andry #334530 04/24/09 11:11 AM
Taxi -- Sounds like you got your answer -- and they'll add $2 if you have another person w/you FYI. When I was there last time, I found the best rate ($5 town to BYC) and then every time I got in a taxi and told them where I was going, I'd say '$5, right?' and most would say sure. And if they didn't, I end up paying another $2 BZ - no big deal.

Walking past dark -- Don't do it alone. Last fall during the slow season I too had an incident on the beach where I was (nearly) mugged. (I guess it's just 'assaulted' when they don't actually get your stuff - my small purse was tied around me too tight that he couldn't get it -- but did scare the heck out of me as he was chocking me while trying - luckily it sounded like someone was coming so he just dropped me and ran). This happened just on the border of the Ramon's property at 8pm. . . I had ALWAYS felt safe on that stretch in the evening - wouldn't have done it late at night. . . But I've now changed and don't do it past dark unless I'm with others.

It's still paradise to me and I keep coming back - probably safer than most places in the US. Just as others have said, be careful and walking at night on your own probably isn't a good idea.

Sheryl

Sal777 #334552 04/24/09 12:30 PM
Oh my God the paranoia strikes again. You fear walking the beach at night?? When you folks are not in Belize are you hiding under your coffee tables? Yes, part of the beach gets dark. It's called nightime folks! This reminds me of the couple I met at the airport last month when I was last down. All they could do was complain about the terrible crime. When I asked them where they were from they told me St. Louis. I was shocked until I relized there wasn't ANY crime in St. Louis!

Belize-N-Us, in response to your question,

Here's my post from April 14:

"I was robbed, as you may have read. I'll add to that . . .

I cannot count the number of times I have been to San Pedro, and was there many many times within the past 12-13 months alone. In all those 10 years and numerous trips per year, I've only been robbed the one time.

Follow the advise above and you should be fine. Don't carry your wallet in your hand, up by your shoulder, if you are walking alone. hee hee That's what I was doing. Made it pretty easy for the bad guy."

You can find more of the details that you sought from me, if you read the thread "Skydiver NOT mugged". I've got a couple of posts in that thread that more fully explain what happened in my incident.

Last edited by seashell; 04/24/09 02:33 PM.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Sorry Bing - not trying to spark paranoia. . . I would not have been walking on the beach the night I got mugged if I had heard that others had been mugged in the area --- it's not about fear, it's about knowing the local environment and being able to make your own choice for what works for you. Yes, there is crime in my city in the states too -- and no, I don't live an overly paranoid life. . . but I listen to what type of things happen in what type of areas and make my choice about my own safety based on that - whether in the US, Belize or anywhere in the world. I don't think a few people that have been mugged mentioning it is an attempt to spark paranoia. . . just an attempt to help people know its wise to be cautious.

Sal777 #334573 04/24/09 03:14 PM
Perfectly normal question, if I am on a vacation in a country I am not familliar with I would ask the same question. Who wants to be jacked when they are supposed to be relaxing. Didn't read any paranoia in the question at all.

Reality..What a concept!
By the way, Belize-N-Us . . .why are you asking me again about this?!! I just re-read the thread "Skydiver NOT mugged" and you were all over that thread, so you already know everything I had to say about it at the time.

(me thinks I smell a troll?)

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

S
S
Yeah, but he's our troll...

JeanH #334641 04/24/09 09:42 PM
W
W
I agree with Peter Jones. I was also there 3 weeks ago, and made that walk every night (we stayed at Corona del Mar, 2 or 3 hotels down from Crazy Canucks). There may be history of crime, but we didn't see any trace of it. So, call us dumb -- the walk down the beach was something we looked forward to. But, as everybody has said, don't do it alone.

Also -- I agree about the taxi drivers being the most unpleasant part of AC. They were scary, and I would rather risk other options (like walking down the beach) than take another ride with one of them.

Last edited by WAtraveler; 04/24/09 09:56 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.