Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
iluvbelize #335080 04/29/09 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by iluvbelize
Thanks for posting this Barbara! I have used colloidal silver and olive leaf extract for 10 years with excellent immune-boosting results.

How could you possibly know that you boosted your immune system?

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Belize-N-Us #335081 04/29/09 07:49 AM
Here's another great use for colloidal silver!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22536241/

Colloidal Silver: Risk Without Benefit

Stephen Barrett, M.D.

Colloidal silver is a suspension of submicroscopic metallic silver particles in a colloidal base. Long-term use of silver preparations can lead to argyria, a condition in which silver salts deposit in the skin, eyes, and internal organs, and the skin turns ashen-gray. Many cases of argyria occurred during the pre-antibiotic era when silver was a common ingredient in nosedrops. When the cause became apparent, doctors stopped recommending their use, and reputable manufacturers stopped producing them. The official drug guidebooks (United States Pharmacopeia and National Formulary) have not listed colloidal silver products since 1975.

Dubious Ads
In recent years, silver-containing products have been marketed with unsubstantiated claims that they are effective against AIDS, cancer, infectious diseases, parasites, chronic fatigue, acne, warts, hemorrhoids, enlarged prostate, and many other diseases and conditions. Some marketers claim that colloidal silver is effective against hundreds of diseases.

During 1997 and 1998, Changes International, a Florida-based multilevel company, stated:

Our colloidal silver contains 99.99% pure silver particles suspended indefinitely in demineralized water that kills bacteria and viruses. It can be applied topically and/or absorbed into the blood stream sub-lingually (under the tongue), thereby avoiding the negative effects of traditional antibiotics that kill good bacteria in the lower digestive tract.

An all natural antibiotic alternative in the purest form available. The presence of colloidal silver near a virus, fungi, bacterium or any other single celled pathogen disables its oxygen-metabolism enzyme, its chemical lung, so to say. The pathogens suffocates and dies, and is cleared out of the body by the immune, lymphatic and elimination systems.

Unlike pharmaceutical antibiotics which destroy beneficial enzymes, colloidal silver leaves these beneficial enzymes intact. Thus colloidal silver is absolutely safe for humans, reptiles, plants and all multi-celled living matter.

It is impossible for single-celled germs to mutate into silver-resistant forms, as happens with conventional antibiotics. Also, colloidal silver cannot interact or interfere with other medicines being taken. Colloidal silver is truly a safe, natural remedy for many of mankind's ills. Colloidal silver can be taken indefinitely because the body does not develop a tolerance to it [1].

Seasilver International, a California-based multilevel company, had claimed that American are suffering from "silver deficiency." Although silver is not an essential nutrient, product information posted on the company's Web site several years ago stated:

The depletion of minerals in our soil has left us deficient of silver, one of our most essential trace minerals, causing a drastic increase in immune system disorders in our society in the last decade. Research has taught us that all disease is allowed to manifest itself because of a weakened immune system. In over 20 years of worldwide research on Colloidal Silver, numerous interviews with government agencies, health care practitioners and their patients, no other nutrient, herb or drug (prescription or over-the-counter) is as safe and effective against all known forms of unfriendly virus, bacteria, and fungus. Additionally, while it is generally known that most antibiotics kill only perhaps 6 or 7 different disease organisms, reports have shown that Colloidal Silver has been used successfully in the treatment of over 650 diseases! Furthermore, strains of disease organisms fail to develop in the presence of Colloidal Silver. Colloidal Silver's greatest attribute is its unique ability to function as a superior second immune system in the body! [2]

Critical Studies and Case Reports

In 1995, an herbal distributor named Leslie Taylor tested nine commonly marketed colloidal silver products available at health-food stores and concluded:

Two of the products were contaminated with microorganisms.
The amount of silver suspended in solution varied from product to product and would gradually decrease over time.
Only five products actually showed antibacterial activity in a laboratory test. To perform the test, she prepared a culture plate with Staphylococcus aureas bacteria, which can cause infections in humans. She then placed a drop from each product on the plate and used disks of two common antibiotics as controls. After eight hours of incubation, she found that bacterial growth had been inhibited around the antibiotics and four of the products.
Of course, the fact that a product inhibits bacteria in a laboratory culture doesn't mean it is effective (or safe) in the human body. In fact, products that kill bacteria in the laboratory would be more likely to cause argyria because they contain more silver ions that are free to deposit in the user's skin.

FDA laboratory studies have found that the amount of silver in some product samples has varied from 15.2% to 124% of the amount listed on the product labels. The amount of silver required to produce argyria is unknown. However, the FDA has concluded that the risk of using silver products exceeds any unsubstantiated benefit [3]. So far, eleven cases of argyria related to silver products have been reported:

A 56-year-old man who had sold and used colloidal silver for three years, developed blue/gray discoloration of his fingernails accompanied by a very high blood level of silver [4].
A married couple who had three years of daily consumption of a drink prepared by administering an electrolytic charge to a bowl of water that contained a silver bar [5].
Another couple had been taking a silver-containing "dietary supplement" prescribed by a naturopath [5].
A mentally ill man who had been drinking silver-containing herbal tea for about 10 months [5].
Stan Jones, Montana's Libertarian Party candidate for the U.S. Senate, who reportedly started taking colloidal silver in 1999 for fear that Y2K disruptions might lead to a shortage of antibiotics. He made his own concoction by electrically two silver wires in a glass of water [6].
Two men, ages 63 and 76, developed argyria after a year of product use inspired by Internet claims [7].
A 16-year-old boy developed blue-gray pigmentation of his entire body after ingesting a silver-containing dietary supplement for a year. The product, packaged so that it was identical to bottled water. was touted as a preventive for everyday infections [8].
A 58-year-old man who treated a presumed kidney infection with a home-brewed colloidal solution 12 times a day for 4 days developed argyria about 4 weeks later [9].
A 38-year-old man developed argyria after ingesting approximately 16 ounces of 450 ppm colloidal silver three times a day for 10 months to treat his arthritis and other conditions. He made the solution with a simple battery-operated chamber that leached silver from pure silver wire. He had obtained the plans from information on the Internet [10]. The photograph to the right shows how his skin color compares to that of normal skin.

Enforcement Actions
Between October 1993 and September 1994, the FDA issued warning letters to five colloidal silver marketers::

Higher Education Library Publications (H.E.L.P.), of Springfield, Utah, was ordered to stop claiming that its colloidal silver product was effective as a natural antibiotic and might be effective against cancer, genito-urinary diseases, tuberculosis, and AIDS.
Nutrition, Inc., of Arvada, Colorado, was ordered to stop stating or implying that its Silvicidal, when administered orally or intravenously, was nontoxic, FDA-approved, and was a broad-spectrum antibiotic that killed bacteria and all virus and fungal infections. In addition, it was falsely claimed to be effective against a long list of specific diseases.
Reseau International of Cincinnati, Ohio was ordered to stop claiming that its colloidal silver product was a "natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory immune system stimulant" and that it was effective against cancer, staph, strep, influenza, general body infections, inflammation, impaired immune system, fungus toxicity, tonsillitis, Meniere's symptoms, whooping cough, shingles, syphilis, cholera, and malaria. The labeling also stated that colloidal silver could cause major growth stimulation of human tissues and can regenerate
Silverado Inc., of Bountiful, Utah, was warned to stop making false claims that its colloidal silver product was effective as an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-fungal agent and that it could stimulate the immune system.
Unic, of Carmichael, California, was ordered to stop claiming that its colloidal silver product was effective against many diseases and could heal burn-damaged tissue without scarring.
In October 1996, the FDA proposed to ban the use of colloidal silver or silver salts in over-the-counter products [11]. A Final Rule banning such use was issued on August 17, 1999 and became effective September 16th. The rule applies to any nonprescription colloidal silver or silver salt product claimed to be effective in preventing or treating any disease [12]. Silver products can still be sold as "dietary supplements" provided that no health claims are made for them. During 2000, the FDA issued warnings to more than 20 companies whose Web sites were making illegal therapeutic claims for colloidal silver products.

In 2000, the Federal Court of Australia banned Vital Earth Company Pty Limited and its director Darryl John Jones from falsely representing that the colloidal silver produced by their "Vital Silver 3000 Zapper," "Vital Silver 2000 Automatic" and "Vital Silver 2000":

Can kill all disease-causing bacteria, fungi and virus within six minutes of contact
Has no harmful side effects; that colloidal silver could be used as an antibiotic for all the acquired diseases of active AIDS
Is effective with more than 650 different pathogenic bacteria and virus types
Has been used successfully against diseases including AIDS, cholera, diabetes, leprosy, leukemia, lupus, skin cancer, syphilis and whooping cough.
The company was also ordered to pay AUS$9000 in costs and to provide refunds [13].

In 2001, the FTC obtained consent agreements with two companies:

Robert C. Spencer and Lisa M. Spencer, doing business as Aaron Company (Palm Bay, Florida). Colloidal silver has been medically proven to kill over 650 disease-causing organisms in the body and is effective in curing diseases ranging from cancer and multiple sclerosis to HIV/AIDS [14].
ForMor, Inc., doing business as ForMor International, and its president, Stan Gross (Birmingham, Alabama) agreed not to make unsubstantiated claims that colloidal silver is effective in treating over 650 infectious diseases, has no adverse side effects, and is effective against arthritis, blood poisoning, cancer, cholera, diphtheria, diabetes, dysentery, gonorrhea, herpes, influenza, leprosy, lupus, malaria, meningitis, rheumatism, shingles, staph infections, strep infections, syphilis, tuberculosis, whooping cough, and yeast infections [14].
In 2002, the FTC obtained a consent agreement with Kris Pletschke, doing business as Raw Health, agreed to stop making unsubstantiated claims that its colloidal silver product could treat or cure 650 different diseases; eliminate all pathogens in the human body in six minutes or less; and is medically proven to kill every destructive bacterial, viral, and fungal organism in the body, including anthrax, Ebola, Hanta, and flesh-eating bacteria [15].

In 2002, the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration amended its rules so that water-treatment products containing substances like colloidal silver for which therapeutic claims are made must meet the requirements of medicines included in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods. This means that such products can no longer be legally marketed without proof that they are safe and effective for their intended purpose. The amendment was based on clnclusions that:

There is little evidence to support therapeutic claims made for colloidal silver products;
The risk to consumers of silver toxicity outweighs the value of trying an unsubstantiated treatment, and bacterial resistance to silver can occur
Efforts should be made to curb the illegal availability of colloidal silver products, which is a significant public health issue [16].

References
Product brochure. Changes International, 1997. Downloaded in 1998.
Seasilver International Product Information, accessed October 12, 1998.
Fung MC, Bowen DL. Silver products for medical indications: risk-benefit assessment. Journal of Toxicology and Clinical Toxicology 34:119-26, 1996.
Gulbranson SH and others. Argyria following the use of dietary supplements containing colloidal silver protein. Cutis 66:373-374, 2000.
Hori K and others. Believe it or not-Silver still poisons! Veterinary and Human Toxicology 44(5):291-292, 2002.
Blue Is the color of my candidate's skin. Associated Press, Oct 2, 2002
Cohen LE and others. Effects of Internet quackery: Argyria in the silver state. Federal Practitioner 21(4):9-17, 2004.
Wickless SC, Schwader TA. Medical mystery-The answer. New England Journal of Medicine 352:2349-2350, 2004.
Brandt D. Argyia secondary to ingestion of homemade silver solition. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 53:S105-107, 2005.
Wadhera A, Fung M. Systemic argyria associated with ingestion of colloidal silver. Dermatology Online Journal 11(1):12, 2005.
Federal Register 61:53685-53688, 1996. (To access this document, search the 1996 volume for "colloidal silver.")
FDA. Final rule: Over-the-counter drug products containing colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts. Federal Register 64:44653-44658, 1999. Download PDF version
Refunds for buyers of alternative therapy devices. News release, Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, May 5, 2000.
"Operation Cure.All" wages new battle in ongoing war against Internet health fraud. FTC news release, June 14, 2001.
FTC announces first two enforcement actions against purveyors of bioterrorism defense products. FTC news release, Feb 27, 2002.
Regulation of colloidal silver and related products. Therapeutic Goods Administration Web site, Aug 19, 2003.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 04/29/09 08:07 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Belize-N-Us #335086 04/29/09 08:04 AM

Without question the absolute best benefit of colloidal silver use is job security!

http://www.blueman.com/about

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 04/29/09 08:04 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Belize-N-Us #335092 04/29/09 08:38 AM
Tommy, I have not had even a common cold in the 10 years I've used colloidal silver. I have not been prescribed nor have I taken any pharmaceutical drugs including OTC products, in more than 18 years. I am 46 years old, and I can assure you that I would know the state of my own immune system. I have no use for MDs except for in the case I may someday require a set for a broken bone (so far, i have yet to require that service smile

iluvbelize #335105 04/29/09 10:09 AM

Good for you!

But again how on earth could you possibly know "the state of my own immune system"?

I don't know a thing about mine.

You give credit where credit is not due. You advise people to use a product that not only is unproven to be effective but has been repeatedly proven to cause harm such as renal failure, liver failure and permanent undesirable skin changes.

Your good health is due to your personal genetics NOT your use of silver. Recomending a proven harmful product to others is careless to say the least.

Do what you want to your own body but please refrain from advising others some of whom might actually take your advise and consume a proven health harming and in most countries illegal to market and sell product.

PS: You post your age as if 46 is old, it's not!

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Belize-N-Us #335106 04/29/09 10:10 AM
H
OP Offline
H
29. April 2009 On the TV-Show "San Pedro Today" Dr. Javier Zuniga and Dr. Otto Rodriquez mentioned that there are 3 suspected cases in Belize:

one in Belize City
one in Orange Walk
one in San Pedro.

The samples are underway to a Lab in Trinidad with DHL. Results are expected after Lunchtime tomorrow.

There is also one suspected case of swine flu in Guatamala

Belize-N-Us #335111 04/29/09 10:24 AM
Yes, I am a very lucky girl! However, I might suggest you do the same and stop with the fear mongering about a substance with which you likely have little or no personal experience. If you want to discuss dangerous 'treatments' let's pull out the PDR and read all about the nasty side effects attributed to FDA pharmaceuticals. Each to his own. I feel a disclaimer on my part is totally unnecessary, but just in case wink "I am not a health care professional and don't claim to be - take my personal experience and recommendations as you all see fit." All of us do not worship at the altar of modern medicine. grin

iluvbelize #335112 04/29/09 10:31 AM
C
C
I have been involved with both a naturopath and currently a MD. This discussion could go on forever. Let's stick to swine flu results and news.

Canam #335115 04/29/09 10:54 AM
More good info:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/29/Swine-Flu.aspx
HOMEOPATHIC OSCILLOCOCCINUM
Oscillococcinum (available at most health food stores) is the number one selling over the counter treatment for all kinds of flu. Oscillococcinum reduces the severity and duration of the flu. Take one capful 3 times in 24 hours -- then stop. Start at the very first sign of a cold or flu. NO side effects.
A number of studies show that taking Homeopathic Influenzinum 9c once a week during outbreaks can prevent you from getting the flu. You can order this directly from Washington Homeopathic Products 800-336-1695 /also available from other homeopathic pharmacies (www.homeopathyovernight.com etc) and sometimes good healthfood stores. One dose is a few granules melted in the mouth or in a glass of water.
www.homeopathic.org for more info on Homeopathy in general
There is a homeopathic physician who comes to SP fairly often and there is a homeopathic remedy kit at one of the clinics on the island. I will see if I can find out which one.

Last edited by Barbara K; 04/29/09 11:17 AM.
Barbara K #335126 04/29/09 11:54 AM
N
N
Barb, do you buy your CS or make your own? I know so many people that have great results using it responsibly and have only heard of ONE that didn't, ie the Blue Man.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.