Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
OP Offline
L
Hi there, my husband and I welcome any and all help. We will be back in Belize, San pedro in the next few weeks. This trip is to gain answers look at living possibilites ect. What we want to know is this:
We want to open a T-Shirt store.
How hard is it.
How many tourists come to San pedro each year ( thats important)
Is there alot of red tape?
Do we need to employee locals ( thats not a problem) Any and all detailed infor would be very helpful!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but do not open a T-shirt store unless you have re-invented the T-shirt and have something very unique to offer...

There are lots and lots of gift shops with a very large selection of nice and cheap shirts, and not really enough people to buy them, thus the constant (really nice) USD 6.- and less shirts on sale.

Do yourselves a favor, and find a niche for your new business - or contact a reputable and long time established realtor and check for an available existing business for sale.

L
OP Offline
L
ok. Can you tell me how many tourists come to San Pedro each year. We even though of living in San Pedro and opening a store in Belize city to hit the cruise ship passengers.

L
OP Offline
L
thought" I meant! Sorry

S
S
If you want an accurate reponse to that question you're better off contacting the Belize Tourist Board rather than asking here: [email protected]

I think you'll run into the same issues if not more in Belize City if you want to open a T-Shirt shop.

Like Weile says, you have to have something unique to offer or purchase an existing business.

Not sure how many tourists come to the island each year. Not sure if anybody knows the exact number. Tropic Air and Maya Island Air are bringing them all in, and they would probably know better than anyone else.

You should contact the A.C. Chamber of Commerce, the San Pedro Business Associaton and/or check with the Belize Tourism Board. I am sure that you can find lots of info by google'ing statistics as well.

All I know is that there are at least 50 T-shirts on sale for every tourist passing through, so I must repeat my advice of not opening a T-shirt business, unless you have re-invented the T-shirt, in which case you'd probably not choose Belize as your launching platform.

Please, don't get me wrong. Lots of good people have come and made a good life for themselves (and others). Unfortunately just as many have come and lost everything, mostly because they didn't take the time to become familiar with the way of life and business here.

I don't know how much time you have spent in Belize; but a friendly advice would be to check it out for at least six months before you even consider risking your hard earned savings on a new business.

Not trying to disencourage you. Just being realistic, that's all...

S
S
"Tropic Air and Maya Island Air are bringing them all in"

Don't forget the water taxis.

Right Simon, but the European hippies already have the T-shirts, or bought them on Caye Caulker :-)

P
P
Everything and nothing is doable as a business here - luck, dedication, a good idea, common sense, business sense, starting capital to run at a loss for a while are all needed in varying quantities and differing orders and still won't guarantee success.

If you are capable of running a business in your home town and then make it ten times harder and can still run it you will be fine here. A generalism but if you use it as a guide it won't be too far off.

Originally Posted by Phil
If you are capable of running a business in your home town and then make it ten times harder and can still run it you will be fine here. A generalism but if you use it as a guide it won't be too far off.

Great line!

--Lan Sluder

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.