Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#336683 05/11/09 06:34 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I know this question has likely been asked before (I've searched but have only found a generic answer) I am wondering if someone with my same carrier has been successful using their phone on the island. Our Tmobile phones are 4 band with sim cards, how (if) do we proceed to use them while there? I have read in the past they have to be BTL compatible, does that have to do with the band? I am not too tech savvy but would like to be in communication with others while on the island and to check in here at home.

Thank you!

Live Laugh Love
E
E
I had no trouble using my T-Mobile RazR last May and my Blackberry this January. As soon as I landed in in BZE it picked up BTL's signal. I try not to use my phone there but during TS Arthur last May it worked fine as I had to call the US to make emergency flight arrangements. I do have WorldPhone service (I believe that's what they call it) as part of my package.

One thing I did this January was turn off my data service on my Blackberry before I left the US to keep it from pinging the local service.

That was my experience FWIW.

God Bless The Reef!
ExOkie #336730 05/12/09 07:47 AM
G
G
I've bought a local SIM card for local usefor the last 3 years. You'll need to have your phone unlocked by T-Mobile prior to your arrival in Belize.

GBZ39 #336731 05/12/09 07:50 AM
I
I
If you email T-Mobile they will send you the instructions for unlocking your phone. I bought a local sim card at Warpaint and had no issues. Of course I was lucky enough to have Tacoboy to do the techie stuff. smile

D
D
Does anyone know aything about Verizon? Is it the same situation as T mobile down there? Don't have worldwide coverage just the usual.

ExOkie #336761 05/12/09 09:47 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Iam just wondering why you would turn off your data package? Also we don't have the WorldPhone service (I don't think) but my husband was thinking about adding that WiFi Hotspot thing to the package (Is that the same thing?). If you use your phone while there what are the rates like?

Live Laugh Love
GBZ39 #336762 05/12/09 09:51 AM
C
OP Offline
C
How much are SIM cards and do you have to buy minutes on top of that?

Live Laugh Love
J
JLG Offline
J
On my verison blackberry phone if you don't turn off your e-mail you will charged per kb you use even if you don't open the e-mails on your phone and if you get as many e-mails per day as i do this can cost alot when you get home.

Fish On...
JLG #336771 05/12/09 10:36 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I am trying to avoid extra charges so that is good to know.

Live Laugh Love
E
E
Go to My T-Mobile and look up WorldClass Roaming. I had it activated for past trips overseas. It's a free service. Not the same as Wi-Fi Hotspot.

I have never used my phone for local calls (the only time I needed to make a local call I went over to Wet Willies and Kayleen let me use their phone) so I never bought a BTL sim card. Like JLG said if you don't turn off your data (on the phone) it's constantly checking for email and I've heard that can get pricey. I have free Wi-Fi and my laptop for that.

I'll have to check my May '08 bill to see what the charge was for calling the US. I'll be back home next week and I'll PM you.

God Bless The Reef!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.