Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
I've noticed many sailboats in the SP area since I've begun coming regularly (five times since February). Are there any sailors here, and if so, what are your thoughts on sailing along AC's coast, both inside and outside the reef? Thanks in advance.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
R
R
skippy, I haven't personally considered it and I'm sure there are more SP area qualified sailors to talk about this but here goes. I'll assume you are talking charters and not sailing here on your own bottom. I have heard that the charter companies will not let you take their vessels outside the reef without a captain from them. All of the vessels are going to be muti-hull because water depth is a limitation. TMM is a good company who I have chartered from in the BVI's. I'll assume their Belize operation is just as good. They have been in business for a long while and I doubt they haven't seen it all, so to speak. Plently of wind and you should be in a reach most of the time. I think if I where going to do it and I haven't researched it, I would sail from SP to Plancenia and do short trips and explore along the way. Leave the vessel in Plancenia maybe.

The first thing I would do is contact the charter company and ask for information. I'm sure they will give you plenty of information and possible routes/anchorages ect. Happy sailing.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the reply. I was in fact hoping there were some sailors here who would comment on their experiences sailing around the AC area.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
R
R
skip, I'll also be interested in those comments. If I had known about SP at the time I'm sure I would have visited with my own boat. The only problem with that is that is it can be a long tough beat into the wind to get back to the East. Maybe going back to Florida wouldn't be too bad till you cleared Cuba. You would have the current with you.

In the Eastern Caribbean heading up or down Island wasn't bad except for Barbados and going back to the States was duck soup. Leaving the States for the Islands could be tricky and I use to follow Jimmy Cornells sailing routes. The trick was to do all your Easterly before you got to 25 deg. lat. Then head South. Ok I'm a little off topic and rambing.

Jim
S
S
Monohulls are available for charter through Moorings. TMM had one but it's retired from the fleet. As long as you're not drawing much more than 5' you're fine.

What kind of experiences are you looking for? I've lost count of the number of times I've sailed back and forth to Placencia and have done a half dozen or so trips to Rio Dulce.

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
I just see all the sailboats but no discussion of sailing on here, and wanted to hear about it from those who do sail here.

S
S
I've sailed all over inside the reef with 3.5' draft. I'd sure hate to try with more!

S
S
There's an excellent cruisers forum and you'll probably get much better feedback from that site. I use it often as a reference for boat maintenance and parts issues. A quick search on Belize gets 281 hits. http://www.cruisersforum.com/

R
R
SimonB, Also, I subscribe to Blue Water Sailing and their companion site, wwwcrusingcompass.com is sent to me by email all the time.

Here is a good cruising site that is also Emailed to me. http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/LectronicLat.lasso

The Rio Duce has interested me and some of my crusing friends have done that trip. If I remember right you have to cross a bar when coming in from the sea and that can be hairy. Also, up in the Lake they have fresh water sharks. The people are very friendly although there was an incident about a year ago. Maybe someday.

Jim
S
S
The bar entering at Livingston is 5-6'...not a problem if your boat has less draft. That's the trip of a lifetime! Up into Lago Isabal...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.