Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#33808 01/23/01 12:24 PM
A
asmooch Offline OP
OP Offline
A
IS THERE ANY HORSEBACK RIDING ON THE BEACH ON A/C? IF SO WHERE? IS IT EXPENSIVE?

#33809 01/23/01 02:19 PM
S
S
Sorry no. Used to be in years gone by but no more.

#33810 01/23/01 10:33 PM
O
O
There is horsebackriding at Banana Bank Resort if you decide to go inland. Banana bank is somewhat near Belmopan. Very pretty place and they have around 50 head of horses

#33811 01/23/01 10:41 PM
Besides Banana Bank, an excellent place, there is horseback riding at a number of lodges in Cayo including M.E.T., Chaa Creek, Ek'Tun, duPlooy's and others. M.E.T. and Banana Bank are usually considered the two top equestrian places in Belize.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#33812 01/27/01 06:12 PM
F
F
I'll be staying at Banana Bank for a few days, tell me anything you know

#33813 01/28/01 12:24 AM
K
K
Banana Bank is on the bank above a river. The cabanas are set on the edge of the jungle. They pull a small boat across the river to get you to the lodge. It is wonderful to hear the animals at night, a unique experience. The cabanas are cute, thatched roof, a little rustic, but fits well into the environment. There are some nice touches to the rooms, carved wooden doors, Carolyn Carr, owner, is an artist and has her work in all of the rooms. Carolyn also has an art gallery on site. It is neat to have her explain the different pieces she has done. There is a story with each piece. John, Carolyn's husband is great. He has stories to tell and they will join you for meals. They have a telescope on site, great to star and planet gaze. They also have Tika, a jaguar on site, along with scarlet macaws, toucans, monkeys, etc. One afternoon I sat on the porch in front of my cabana and was reading, the sound of the birds was like a symphony. It is an adventure to ride through the jungle, the best way to see the jungle. John has a knack for putting you with the right horse, I've had people ride there who have never been on a horse and they still talk about it. John is like the horse whisperer of Belize. They can arrange for tours to the ruins, waterfalls, zoo is right down the road and then there is Ian Anderson's river cave trip-an Indiana Jones experience. I have worked with the Carrs for 10 years, have sent them lots of people and it is a great experience. I just saw them last weekend at a horse trade show, they are dear friends and will do everything they can to make your stay a good one.

Karen Pasquariello
#33814 01/28/01 01:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
i stayed there for a few days in 1993 (before they got electricity to the cabanas!) and it was, as karen says, very rustic, but truely an adventure i will never forget. at that time, they also had two monkeys, a howler & a spider, and let them climb all over us! they also had a peccary named juanita.

it is cool when your guide in front is whacking down the bush with a machete while you ride. we really enjoyed it. (but our butts hurt a bit when we got off!!)

#33815 01/28/01 08:36 PM
I think Karen has captured Banana Bank perfectly.

Over the years, the only small complaint we've ever had about the place is, strangely enough, that the housekeeping wasn't always up to snuff. A few folks have complained that cabanas weren't clean. Just got another complaint on that a few weeks ago. But other than that minor point, which I've never noticed myself, it's a great spot.

You can drive to it as well, around the back side, but most people would park and take the little boat across the Belize River. You can hear howler monkeys along the river.

The facilities have been improved a good deal of late, especially as so many cruise boats and tours now send guests for horseback riding.

John is one of the six or eight great characters among the expat community in Belize.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#33816 12/01/01 03:06 AM
What kind of clothing do I need to take for this area? I understand it can be quite cool in the evening?

What about for jungle hikes and such? Do I need hiking boots or will my tika-types do?
Do I need a dry bag for the cave tubing?

Thanks in advance.

OH, and anything else you would like to tell me that I haven't asked, is appreciated too.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#33817 12/01/01 02:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
again, it was 1993 when i was there, and things may have changed.

we did opt for hiking boots, glad when xunantunich was wet from rain. good for use at the rio frio cave too. but also at banana bank there were some red ants, and boots & socks kept them off your feet. i did not think it was cold at night, but we wore our jeans for riding. since we had no fancy clothes, there was plenty of room to bring them along. we just wore them on the plane there & back.

we were glad we rented a jeep, as we could come & go as we pleased, and just throw those boots in the back.

seriously, we got banged & bitten some (well worth it). bring the basic first aid essentials: bandages, neosporin, benedryl cream, advil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.