Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
San Pedro Traffic Department has begun strict enforcement of its ban against the importation of new motor vehicles to the island.

Joel Chi, the driver for the Minister of Tourism, Manuel Heredia Jr. and a resident of San Pedro Town, had his Jeep Liberty SUV taken from him and sent back to Belize City.

Alberto Bradley, also a resident of San Pedro Town, has had his vehicle impounded in his yard for around three months.

He will not be allowed to drive the vehicle in San Pedro, and if he does he will face serious traffic fines.

The two owners had applied to the San Pedro Traffic Control Committee in May for permission to import the vehicles, but the requests were denied.

Severo Guerrero, Direc-tor of the San Pedro Traffic Department and also a Town Councillor, said Chi's request was denied because the SUV was too big and inappropriate for the island's traffic.

San Pedro's narrow streets and limited space for parking make it necessary to restrict the number of motor vehicles on the island, Guererro said.

The Traffic Control Committee, which is comprised of seven members, decided against granting the permissions sought. Chi brought his vehicle to San Pedro after being told his application had been denied.

The San Pedro Police later impounded the vehicle on May 13. Two days later it was shipped back to Belize City.

Guerrero told the Reporter that the Town Board is not opposed to bringing vehicles to the island, but permission must first be obtained from the Town Board and the Traffic Committee, which considers each case on its merits.

The Committee's overiding concern is to reduce traffic congestion on the island.

The San Pedro Town Board is also having a dispute with Chi over a house now being built in San Pedro.

Reports say that the building is much bigger than the plan approved for it by the San Pedro Local Building Authority.

Chi is using 95% of the land for the building in defiance of the Local Building Authority, which approved a plan for 60 percent of the land.

San Pedro's Local Building Authority is expecting to receive the support of the newly formed National Building Authority in enforcing the law. (See last week's report on the NBA).

The Reporter

B
B
The local board should be commended for trying to cut down on the growing number of full size vehicles speeding around the island. However, one has to wonder what the necessity is for all the young kids on the island driving autos, trucks and souped up atvs. Maybe they were grandfathered in....er I mean their grandfather got them a permit.

P
P
Where in the world do kids not do this!!!!

S
S
Pretty tame compared to what I drove when I was in my teens.

Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any way to get rid of the taxi vans now?

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Originally Posted by Belize-N-Us

Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any way to get rid of the taxi vans now?

Stop using them. It's basic economics. grin

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
I guess the Hummer streach limo I wanted to send down is on hold now. smirk

if the right person wanted to bring that,, it would be there.

",,Town Board and the Traffic Committee, which considers each case on its merits."

I might be a wrong person Barnacle

I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!
someone mentioned you 'weren't right'. wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.